Is the grass any greener?

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by plumberboy, Oct 29, 2014.

1. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

I've always been happy in the trade I choose and still enjoy it,but I have friends in different trades always moaning that they would of done a different trade if they could turn back time.
    We all have ups and downs in our working life,but I always believe the good times out do the bad times.;)
    Can't say I've ever looked back personally.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2014
  2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I agree with you PB, with my secondrdy not so modern education, a lawyer,brain surgeon or international playboy was never on the cards, so for a working class lad in the northwest the choices were many in 1968 went i was kicked out of skool,
    down't pit, in't mill, in't foundry,engineering,warehouse,assembly line,any many other unskilled jobs, I picked plumbing and would do the same again, unless of course I was reborn to a privaliged family were i go to Eton and get the skool tie and a seat in the house of lords, but that's not gonna happen, so i can't smile wide enough with my little lot, every days a differant venue, some good some bad and some downright ugly, but as long I'm getting a pint and a butty, I'm a happy bunny, :)

flateric and plumberboy like this.
  3. plumberboy

I think some people are never content in life Tom,and for that reason are always looking for the door,sad some people are never happy with what they have ,yet there's so many that would love to fill their shoes.

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Sometimes wish I'd become an electrician. Specially these days , what with all the electronic gizmos they seem to fit. ;);)

5. plumberboy

No you wouldn't JJ,when ever I go on the elec talk their always moaning.:p:p

6. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

No matter what you do in life there is always someone else better off ............ But look at it from our perspective, All those greedy Basturds with billions that they don't need or will ever use can never get home put there feet up, unwind, have a relaxing beer........ Due to their intense greed for money more money and power. Whereas we may feel satisfaction they never will as they are to busy pulling the knives out their backs and wondering who they can shove them into ............ No one is safe in those circles friends or family ........ They may live high life but we sure live the better life :)

FatHands, Biffo and plumberboy like this.
  7. joinerjohn1

Well said Eric,,, I wish I'd become a millionaire though. :p:p:p:p

8. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

your problem JJ is you were allowed a night out amongst the high flyers in a top london hotel. you've seen and smelled the 'other side', we're lucky in that, we've never had we'll not miss, and it serves you bloody well right, you scrabbling genius you, bet you wish you was fic like me now, :)

ps, how much was a whisky there?

9. joinerjohn1

:p:p:p:p Ahh Tomp,, Claridges was summat else though. I were treated like royalty (even though we took us own cans in't suitcase an ad ter gan outside fer a smoke) :p:p:p:p

10. flateric

I should have signed that post The Envious one :D I want more money than I can spend

11. plumberboy

What you mean your not a millionaire JJ.:)

12. plumberboy

Well said flateric.;)

13. flateric

Why thank you pb :)

14. plumberboy

Come on JJ,how much was a whisky and did it make a dent in your wallet.:)

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

PB he showed the price list, some whiskys are £1000 :eek::eek::eek:

16. plumberboy

:D:D

17. joinerjohn1

We took our own cans of lager (to drink in our suite). Had a bottle of Italian wine with dinner in the Foyer and Reading Room restaurant (should have been £42, but £50 worth of drinks were included with the dinner) Tell ya PB, it was an eye opener. Had we not won this luxury night in a competition, the suite would have cost £540 for one night B&B. :eek::eek: (could have got a fortnight abroad for that price) All in all a fabulous hotel though and an evening we'll treasure for quite some time. ;);)

Some whisky's were extremely high prices, but a certain cognac was probably the most expensive short on the drinks menu and was well over £1000 ( dunno if that was for the bottle or per glass, but I can imagine it would be for just one glass) ;);)

FatHands likes this.
  18. plumberboy

Very nice JJ.:cool::cool::cool:

19. It's a different life, right enough.

But don't forget that these 'millionaires', who treat Claridges like we treat a fish an' chip shop, have the exact same 'hang ups' as the rest of us - they will look at multi-millionaires and billionaires in a similar way as we look at them. And are 'resentful' of what they have. Very very few will be genuinely content with what they currently have themselves.

Can you imagine the bitchiness that goes on in these circles?! The one-upmanship?

Relatively few genuinely happy and content amongst them. Dysfunctional parenting, and ungrateful kids is the norm.

(Really trying to convince myself here... :rolleyes: )

plumberboy likes this.
  20. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

one things fer sure

not a single one of them has a tomplum pen, :):)

FatHands and plumberboy like this.