Is there a magical Lintel there

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by bodywarmer, Oct 20, 2014.

1. bodywarmer

bodywarmer New Member

Hi I am wondering if someone could help me?

I am having a side extension built according to building regulations.
    the original kitchen window to the outside of the house is coming out to make an entry into the new kitchen.

However it seems that there is no lintel there....The bricks above the soldiers are loose after removing the render on the outside to check. P_20141019_145325.jpg P_20141019_145339.jpg P_20141019_145339.jpg

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

If there was a lintel, you would see it on the underside of the brick on edge, (soldiers are upright):)

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

..and looking at the state of the bricks, I would definitely be putting one in!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Phil, would you see the flat flange of the lintel (if it exists...) under the soldiers? Or, what the 'ell keeps the soldiers up?

5. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

That can't be staying up by it'self, there must be something in there. Although it looks straight, is there a curve in it at all. (soldiers are upright)

B J

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Good old fashioned use the window frame to hold up the house. Not uncommon.

7. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Bloody hell didn't read that bit! if there was a window in the hole, then as Metro said, 'must take in what I read'

8. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Could be a bar through holes in the bricks but not likely.
    Need a 10 foot sledge hammer to be on the safe side!

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's a similar setup to our last home, the soldier course just rested on the metal window frame. Were they metal windows installed?

10. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Also looks like there is almost no cavity either!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

11. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It's a BRICK ON EDGE, Soldiers standup, unless there French, then, well.

12. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Or Italian, then they just lie down on their backs , waving a flag consisting of a white cross on a white background. :D :D :D :D

13. petethebrickie1

petethebrickie1 New Member

old houses never used a lintol, they layed onto window frame, sometimes and timber lintel on the inside of a 9 inch wall and the outer brick work on the frame , thats why you see a lot of cracked brickwork on top of replaced windows, id put in something to support it even an rsj . save problems later