Is thick mortar between bricks ok?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Kindy, Apr 27, 2024.

Tags:
  1. Kindy

Kindy New Member

Builder replaced old bricks he'd wrongfully removed with new ones. It doesn't look ideal but is it sound brickwork to have such thick mortar? See pic.

The traditional bricks are available locally so I am able to get matching ones. He told me they weren't available.

Attached Files:

2. BuildingMad

BuildingMad Screwfix Select

Looks as though your original bricks are imperial sizes & the new ill matching ones are metric sizes, hence the thicker joints.
    Check the sizes against those you say are locally available, otherwise a reclamation yard.
    Why coloured mortar ?

LearnMore likes this.
  3. LearnMore

LearnMore Well-Known Member

Has the shape of the door been followed? only the wall looks like it’s leaning.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    arrow likes this.
  4. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

What a mess, as well as the bricks he has not even used the same bond.

Scott mattock, stuart44 and LearnMore like this.
  5. BuildingMad

Just remembered, this is the 'cowshed' one.
    Need say no more.

6. LearnMore

Huh?????

7. BuildingMad

8. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Awful ... no bond matching, no toothing in, mortar too wide. And bricks way different.

LearnMore likes this.
  9. LearnMore

10. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

Same chancer that made the mistake in the first place by the looks of it. I suggest get a professional in and have it done properly and charge it back.

LearnMore likes this.
  11. Kindy

Kindy New Member

Sorry folks, I was using my mobile earlier and couldn't find original my post!

He's agreed to redo it with the correct bricks. I expect that I won't get the proper lime mortar but at least the shape won't look quite so naff.

LearnMore likes this.
  12. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

If he keeps trying there's a chance he'll get it right eventually.
    If he fixes a line down from where you want it to finish to the bottom course, you can measure in to the existing for each course and check whether you need to remove any brickwork to avoid big perp joints.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2024
    arrow, WildCat, Mark's Dad and 3 others like this.
  13. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

Law of averages? :)

stuart44 likes this.
  14. Kindy

Kindy New Member

Next question, how do I get the guy to use the right traditional lime mortar to match existing brickwork? It is something you can buy or mix easily?

15. stuart44

stuart44 Screwfix Select

Kindy and LearnMore like this.
  16. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select

You need to get a bit of the mortar to colour match, give the lime shop that and they will give you a bag of ready mixed to match.

Old imperial bricks are easy got.

I just looked at your original post, why did you not open out the whole arch cutting from the inside?

17. Larry_129

Larry_129 Active Member

He needs to use Natural Hydraulic Lime 3.5, which you can get reasonably easily enough from some merchants (not all) and not hydrated lime (which you can get everywhere). That will be the next issue as if he's not mixed lime mortar before he will just used hydrated lime as it will be the only thing he's heard of. They are absolutely not the same product.

Needs to find the right sand (to match existing colour) and use no cement.

You can also buy pre mixed NHL +sand e.g via Conserv.

It's easy to work with , in some ways easier than cement based mortar as it sets more slowly. I'd say it's probably not what he's used to but by the looks of the brickwork he's not used to much!!

Kindy and LearnMore like this.
  18. HEYHOLETSGO

HEYHOLETSGO Active Member

Bodge job. Get a bricklayer.

stuart44 likes this.
  19. Kindy

Kindy New Member

I'm afraid that I don't know what you mean by cutting from the inside. The old bricks were never supposed to be removed.

20. Abrickie

Abrickie Screwfix Select

Just show him the third photo from your other thread, if he can’t make it look like that then suggest he pays for someone who can or you will at his cost

stuart44 likes this.