isnurance

Discussion in 'Just Talk' started by DIYrik, Jan 2, 2016.

1. DIYrik

DIYrik New Member

hi I am new here
    I was wondering if any of you could advise me public liability insurance for handyman
    thanks

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Yes, get some

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I use Trade Direct which costs around £100 for £5 000 000 and includes professional indemnity and various other bits and bobs plus £1 000 tool insurance be that in house, garage or van.

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

People have to be careful with policies labelled "public liability" and "professional liability" as they are very different beasts as is "employers insurance" and there are so many exceptions.

I lost out a few years ago when some tools were stolen from the garage of the property I was working on. If they had been in my vehicle, my garage, my house or inside the house I was working on it would have been fine but they deemed the garage was not covered. Expensive lesson

So now I always go to an independent broker, I may pay a bit more but at least I know "all risks" are covered

5. Speak to a broker - you may pay a few quid more but they will advise you properly, rather than typing in forms on the internet for a cheap deal only to find you are not covered should there be a claim.

Don't stick with one broker - shop around two or three or obtain a recommendation.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've claimed on the tool insurance twice with thefts from the van and garage and they paid out on both.
    The policy is £5 000 000 for Public Liability and includes professional indemnity of £50 000 and £100 000 financial loss for £130 per annum.

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Insurance companies are there to TAKE money from you. not to give you a service, The last thing they will do is PAY should anything go wrong ,So there are all kinds of get-outs they write in and terms like, 'unworkmanlike ' way , or unappropiate tools, there will also be a access which usually makes it not worthwhile claiming,
    Its a bit like religion, we all know there's no god but when we get old we start going to church, just in case, So cover your butt, just in case you drop an hammer on someones head, :eek:

8. Really not sure how you connected that to religion.

Here is an easier analogy me thinks. You can have 12 months vehicle insurance paid up front, but if your MOT and Tax expire, the insurance becomes invalid.

Dot all the i's and cross all the t's - brokers check that for you. Don't say you park your vehicle in a garage every night if you don't, don't go specifying beam sizes if you are not qualified or insured to do so, and so on.