Isolating mid position valve

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Ianauto, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Ianauto

Ianauto New Member

Hi,

I need to replace my mid position valve, but want to add 3 isolating valves(plumbers who installed system didn't). Please could someone inform me what type should be installed.

Regards.

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Plumbers don't fit isolation valves around the mid-position valve as it is not good practice, but if you want to yourself that's your call but the chances of them working when you next want them are very remote.

3. meady

meady Member

If you want to do something like that then I would use full bore quarter turn valves as they are a lot more reliable.

4. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You don't need to drain the system to replace the 3 port all you need to do is bung the system and replace it, no hassle most of the time.

5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

Honeywell all the way. In my last house, The valve would have been a pain to change so I bought an identical valve and just changed the motor and circuit board when it failed in the middle of winter.

6. Unless it's a system boiler of course, then could get messy!

7. Dave does Gas

good point nothing to bung, draining necessary in that case

8. diymostthings

diymostthings Well-Known Member

IMHO Any isolating valve on a primary boiler circuit is likely to:
    (a) sieze up after a few months
    (b) Leak prematurely- especially the ball type (full bore or not).

Reason? Boiler water contains grit, sludge and acidic material. These valves are only suitable for "pure" water (e.g. your kitchen cold mains tap).

diymostthings.

9. tony n

tony n New Member

Yeah as above I wouldn't put iso valves on it, just drain it down and stick a Honeywell on there. Chances are you will only need to change the head in future anyway

10. Dave does Gas

In that case use a Drayton they clip off rather than screw off