Japanese Waterstones

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Jitender, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just brought the icebear set of 2 stones from Axminister tools.

Have been using a cheap Axminster diamond stone to sharpen the chisel/blades.

Will be using again today.

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

And then you hit a nail :eek::eek:

3. GoodwithWood

GoodwithWood Active Member

I just use a red (fine) DMT Diamond Whetstone and a polishing mop on an old grinder. Quick and gives a razor edge. In fact took the mop to site this week as I had loads of hardwood doors that needed the furniture added. A few strokes and a quick polish a few times a day made a big difference to a boring job.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The workshop I'm doing a lot of work in at the moment has a Tormek and all the jigs, it is such a pleasure after a lifetime of grinding nicks out on a bench grinder and trying not to blue the tip.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Tormek user myself chips.

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It makes it all so easy, bluudy expensive tho :)

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I brought the DMT diamond card sized plate a while back. Axminister said they are the best diamond manufacturer and use better bonding, they do work out more expensive than the water stones.

Just need to get into the habit of keeping them sharp, best little and often.

8. GoodwithWood

I love my Tormek but I have given up using the leather strop in favour of a polishing mop. Gives a much quicker and better finish.

9. GoodwithWood

Well I have had my DMTs (I've got the credit card sizes one as well) for must be over a decade and can certainly vouch for their longevity. Good today as when I bought them.

10. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

As a retired engineer with a couple of wood chisels,purely for DIY,do any of you blokes with a Tormek live anywhere near Weymuff.. It's worth a pint. :):)

11. GoodwithWood

I don't. I'm sure someone will offer to sort them out for a pint either locally or if you post um to them though.

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just resharpened all the chisels again. It's surprising just how quickly they become dull.

i have a large 1" chisel which I misused :oops: and it needs a fair bit of work to get the egde clean.

I have been looking at Japanese chisels, and they all seem to be hollowed out. on the flat.

My mum had a pair of tailoring scissors made up while abroad and they are hollow ground too on the edges, just sharpened them for her. Not sure what the metal is but it is very hard.

In my opinion a hollow cutting edge is far more easier to maintain as there is less surface area.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I have the 800g and 6000g, I didn't like using the 6000g at first as id felt like it wasn't doing anything.

But the edges come out to near mirror finish :eek:

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even though I sharpen my own chisels, I have a firm close to me who does all my saw sharpening, butcher knives,etc.
    Anything with an edge the can sharpen.

http://www.sharpening-service.co.uk/

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There was a franchise on sale a few years ago, I think an old chap owned it but was retiring. He had a van and visited the hairdressers to sharpen their scissors.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

:(

Chisel.jpg

17. GoodwithWood

At least you hit it gently. Won't take much to sharpen that out.

18. Unit 1

Unit 1 Member

Call me old fashioned but I have always stuck with a Norton India and an Arkansas;). How do you find the Waterstone? I hear they can become uneven quite quickly but are easier to flatten out again, also give an excellent edge, working up a slurry as you use them. With my plane irons I still hand strop after the Arkansas, freaks some chippies out that have never seen that done but in 35 years not one cut. Just had a look at the Ice bear stones and.... I'm now tempted, even if I just keep it aside for my carving and whittling stuff. Nice buy Jitender!

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I brought the *** stones as I do like the way they do their wood working a timber frame construction on youtube inspired me!

I have never used a sharpening stone more the 600g, so a 600g is something way beyond - still learning.

when you begin to sharpen the chisels and then use them afterwards, it is immensely satisfying.

I now try and treat the chisels with respect, I've got a set of Bacho chisels, but may get one or 2 Japanese chisels in the future.

I have seen seller on ebay selling sharpening stones made from welsh slate even.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-8-X...hash=item2a6521b744:m:mxs4WEqnfD9cNMwZEWoQOxQ

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

There are natural & synthetic japanese water stones, here a good linky, that goes into detail a bit more.

http://www.fine-tools.com/japwas.html

You can even get Japanese Water Stone Wheel Sun Tiger Grain Size 4000 for Tormek & other wet sharpeners that use a 200mm wheel.

GoodwithWood likes this.