Jeld Wen oak exterior door problem

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Harryman, Apr 28, 2017.

1. Harryman

Harryman Member

We bought a Jeld-Wen Croft oak exterior door and painted it to the exact spec on the enclosed instruction sheet - 2 Johnstone's primer coats, 2 undercoats, 3 top coats - all oil based. All done inside; all with the door laying flat and supported.

Fitted it and only a few weeks later noticed splitting at the joint between rail and stile.

Complained and now they are trying to weasel out of responsibility, saying it wasn't prepared properly! Even the supplier agrees they are in the wrong and is fighting them.

What's going on? Are they just a **** company or is there a wider problem with their doors?

(Posted this in carpenters' talk too but maybe here is better)

2. Dr Decorator

Dr Decorator Active Member

Sound like the door is still drying out?

3. Harryman

Harryman Member

I don't know - the instruction sheet says 'remove packaging and paint immediately'. Which is what we did.

4. Harryman

Harryman Member

image.jpg I thought I'd bring this up again as the second identical jeldwen door we bought, painted and fitted at the same time is now showing an identical problem in the same place. The bottom non-hinge side rail/stile joint is opening up.
    Jeldwen continue to say 'painted wrongly' even though they were done exactly as the instruction sheet.
    I know our claim is against the supplier but he is fighting hard on our behalf to have them accept it is a manufacturing issue.
    Any thoughts?

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Did you paint the whole door (inside & out) to the same level?

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Just googled Jeld Wen Oak door defects,faults,problems,etc & nothing,either my search skills are failing today,but I can't belive they don't get issues with their doors & peeps chat about it on forums.
    You cannot sell thousands of doors & not get faults/issues with them.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  7. Harryman

Harryman Member

Yes, same number of coats done at same time, just different colour top coat.

8. Harryman

Harryman Member

Me too - seem to get any number of issues with stuff in USA but not here.

9. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

Your search-foo didn't get you to the Screwfix's[1] reviews?
    http://www.screwfix.com/p/jeld-wen-...door-oak-veneer-non-handed-813-x-2032mm/31743
    Or am I missing something here?

[1] Screwfix, Screwfix... now where have I heard that before?

10. Harryman

Harryman Member

Well I'm damned - that last review could have been written by me. We have minor splitting round keyhole too but I assumed it was caused during fitting.
    These doors are rubbish !

11. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

You could write a review on the Screwfix site to help others in the future.

I suppose it depends on what's going to happen with the supplier.

If I were stuck with the door I think I'd:
    • Try and stick down and clamp loose veneer (if it lifts so you can get under it)
    • Sand, fill, sand, paint
    And I'd do all that whilst assuming that I've just wasted my time and the problem will come back anyway.

But you should probably wait for advice from someone who actually knows about these things instead of taking advice from a bodger like me.

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If I spent several hundred quid on a door, I wouldn't expect the veneer to lift, & I certianly wouldn't repair it, but expect a new replacement door.

btiw2 and Harryman like this.
  13. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Remember that under the Consumer Rights Act your have much more than the warranty that the supplier gives. The equipment must last what is deemed a reasonable time span, not just the 12 months they like to tell you! Have a read up on them

btiw2 likes this.