Jig for 50mm Square Edge Laminate

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Gonxta, Apr 25, 2016.

1. Gonxta

Gonxta New Member

Hi guys,

First time posting on a forum.

Have 3 worktops and a breakfast bar to join.

All are 50mm thick square edge laminate (like picture) Wickes 'Romantic Walnut' wood effect and haven't fitted any of this type before.

Few questions:

1) Mitre with jig or butt joint? Taking 600mm of edging off seems a bit of a faff and may not be ideal join?

2) My Trend KWJ900 has been damaged on guide so need to replace. This jig gives a 35mm deep female cut. Looking to replace it with the Trend Combi 1002 which has a lesser 23mm female cut.

Would you guys recommend this jig, or go for one that does 10mm & 23mm female cuts that may look better on straight edged worktops, particularly wood effect?

3) All jigs seem to say max cut depth 40mm. Surely that's if you use a 50mm bit rather than 63mm bit?
    romantic-walnut.jpg

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

10mm mitre joint slightly more aesthetically pleasing than 23 in this instance but either would do. I wouldn't trust leaving edging on as part of the join. Just my 2 pence worth :)

3. Gonxta

Gonxta New Member

Many thanks CGN
    I too like the idea of the 10mm mitre. Was hoping the Combi1002 would accommodate this by now.
    Definitely wouldn't leave edging on join as would look ugly and not seal well, but have heard some people take that 600mm of edging off and then do a straight butt joint.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member