Joining Copper pipe PVC

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Jason Thompson, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Jason Thompson

Jason Thompson New Member

I need to fit water copper pipe to my new shower but the inlet is plastic it says only use compression fittings, how can I do this and what fittings should I use?

2. Peterdevon

Peterdevon Screwfix Select

15mm compression elbow or coupler

3. Jason Thompson

Either as the pipe is just out of the wall at moment

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Pic would be useful. I used a compression elbow when i did a mates shower. Fitted onto the plastic inlet fine.

5. Jason Thompson

OK I'll send a picture

6. Jason Thompson

It keeps saying file too large. Any how it's a straight piece of copper with a ring and nut on and a plastic but of tube coming from shower. Hope it helps.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Needs to be 2Mb or less.

8. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Make sure end of pipe is cut nice and square and clean off any burs

Slide cap nut over pipe, followed by the 'ring' (known as an olive)

Wrap a few turns of PTFE (plumbers tape) around the threaded section of water inlet

Push pipe fully into plastic water inlet

Slide up olive so it meets inlet

Slide up cap nut and tighten

As tightening into a plastic thread, be especially careful to not over tighten otherwise you will strip the threads on the inlet

Difficult to say how tight - you just get a feeling for it

The olive does the sealing part of the job, often with plastic fittings they advise against the use of any sealing pastes - check the manufacturers instructions for the shower

If any elbows needed, sounds like ur gonna use compression over soldered so same as above, although metal fittings you can tighten up more but no need to use full strength - around finger tight then half to one turn with a spanner / wrench

Good luck. I'm DIY myself and that's just my advice. Others will have their own opinions :)

koolpc likes this.
  9. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

COPPER olive not a brass one. Most fitting are supplied with brass so it will be a case of sourcing copper. They are softer and conform to the pipe much better.

10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Didn't make a difference for me.

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Only for LPG otherwise brass is fine

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

So, why do the plastic pipe and fitting manufacturers recommend copper in preference to brass?

13. Jason Thompson

So all I need is a Copper compression elbow to join the Copper and Plastic pipes?

14. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

If you follow instruction s that come with the shower, it would tell you in there, thats what its for.

15. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Its a plastic spigot not a pipe

16. Jason Thompson

Oh er misses

17. Jason Thompson

Unfortunately it didn't say "SPIGOT" on the instructions it says "INLET PIPE" and also the fitting instructions just says use compression fittings, it doesn't say anything about joining copper to plastic.

18. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

You'll have to show me that one in black and white, cant say as though Ive ever been made aware of that little gem

19. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just ignore the fact that it is plastic, treat is as brass, except not to tighten it as hard!

And it is a copper olive you need, brass compression fitting/elbow/whatever.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

20. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Inlet pipe is correct. I have fitted these before. Just determine if you need an elbow or not. Obviously compression fitting.

This may help you: