Joining SCART Leads

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Longhorn, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Longhorn

Longhorn New Member

Im faced with a problem - i want a plasma TV hanging above my fireplace, my fireplace is an inglenook (open inside) and i will need to drill a small hole to pass the cable through. what i was planning on doing was cutting a 5 metre SCART lead and jointing it on the inside of my inglenook where it would be out of sight. main question is :-

is there anything out there like a SCART connection box? if not has anyone every joined one before as i believe its about 26 strands or summit?

cheers

LH

2. Legal Sparrow

Legal Sparrow Member

3. Stoday

Stoday New Member

It would be easier to buy a scart plug & solder it onto the end of your 5m lead (that would have it's plug cut off).

Maplin sell them and have a connection diagram in their catalogue.

4. Longhorn

Longhorn New Member

Ok guys cheers for the speedy response, what im hearing is that it shouldnt be too big a job to make a junction box with a bit of strip connector,

i take it the wires are all colour coded in some sort of way??

LH

5. pme

pme New Member

I would strongly recommend not joining in the way you suggest, depending on quality you will find all the wires can be black, but mainly because you will compromise the signal quality, the cable carries several screened leads for video and audio. It is possible to purchase scart leads that have one end unterminated, making up the connector is fiddly but not impossible, have a look in maplin et al. As with all things quality varies, gold plate and oxygen free copper 200, old **** 1.50

pme

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If you <u>have</u> to cut and join, you might be better off getting a ribbon scart lead, and you should have no problem identifying the wires.
    I have a scart lead that has a joiner to separate them (15mm 6-pin)but it is one from a selection kit and as it is only a 6-pin joiner, I guess a lot of quality is lost. I've never seen a full 21-pin joiner other than the normal scart socket size.

Handyandy - really

7. Legal Sparrow

Legal Sparrow Member

Does the plasma TV have any other inputs?

Composite (worst)
    S-Video
    RGB (best)

You could get a SCART to X cable and simply run the little plugs through the whole.

A standard SCART cable carries all three of the above signals, plus the audio. You probably don't need all three signal types going into the TV, and probably not the audio.

SCART connections
    http://www.js-technology.com/technical/scartconnector.pdf#search='the%20scart%20connector'

8. nigel

nigel Guest

You can get scart to scart with a plug in joint , but plasma above a fireplace seems dumb to me , unless you already have a bad neck.

9. sidecutter

sidecutter Member

Why not core drill a 50mm hole behind the TV Pass the plug through the hole then fill the hole back up with Mortar.
    Easy

10. goldtop

goldtop New Member

Try having a look at WWW.keene.co.uk . They have all sorts of connectors etc

11. Longhorn

Longhorn New Member

Plenty of good idea coming in, if i change the connector to S-video whould i notice a loss in quality though??

and Nigel....I dont intend to lie at fire and look up at TV m8, the living room is 8m x 6m so with a room that size looking at a tv thats 2 ft higher than normal aint a head sore (or neck), and plasmas above the fireplace are becoming more popular

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvreviews/plasmatv-fireplace.html

Ian J