Joining steel

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by pete12, Dec 7, 2005.

1. pete12

pete12 New Member

has anyone had any experience at joining steel RSJ's on site rather than in a workshop. Is it possible? If so would you have plates welded on the end then bolted/
    or would the middle section of the steel overlap and then bolt|? I realise it would have to be designed but is it Possible or am I dreaming?
    any advice appreciated.

2. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

Site splices are possible.

A splice for a universal beam section will usually comprise top and bottom flange cover plates plus two web plates - one each side. Additionally there may be extra flange plates on the flange surfaces between the fillets (an additional four plates). Splices are usually made using HSFG bolts to avoid rotation at the joint.

I am curious why you are asking this? I mean, splices are usually incorporated in a design for transportation reasons (you can't transport a 10 storey column in one piece), or because you can't install a peice of steel in one piece so it ends up having to be spliced.

If you are thinking of joining two handy sections of UB end to end to make a longer beam then forget it. The longer span could merit a heavier section size than the two bits you have available. For example, a 254 x 146 x 37 UB might do a certain job when spanning say 4m. However two 4m lengths of these sections spliced end to end would not carry anywhere near as much load spanning 8m.

3. pete12

pete12 New Member

Skil
    Thank you very much for that reply very informative.
    I am considering a loft conversion next spring/summer. in discussing it with my mate he said I would probable need steels to span between the adjoining walls 4.6 meteres ( small terraced house) and I was just thinking that I would have to pass the steel through the adjoining wall to bring it back to sit on the pad stones the other side . So I woundered if it was possible to get the steel in 2 sections and bolt it together that way I could keep the problem my side. is that possible?

4. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Depending on the section size and loads often a single endplate welded on either piece of steel is adequate with 4 or 6 m16/20 bolts. About 30mins extra work!

5. pete12

pete12 New Member

Thank you both very much for the replies very much appreciated. At least I now know it is possible.

6. Lightning McQueen

Lightning McQueen New Member

You're welcome, Pete.

7. Hitch.

Hitch. New Member

Glad to help :)