Joining Worktops in a 90deg Corner - Is there a simple solution?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by stitch-up, Feb 20, 2015.

1. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

I have two worktops that need to be joined in a 90deg corner.

Is there a simple way to do this without having to router the tops? Perhaps some aluminium joint?

Aesthetics are not to important as these worktops are in a workshop.

Thanks

2. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

Wickes used to sell Aluminium joining pieces and can't say that i have searched for them on Screwfix.
    B&Q might sell them but you will need a bank loan!!!

Regards
    Mr J

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The proper way is cut like this.

1874168_orig.jpg

But you could just do a straight 45˚ like this.

scan0050.jpg

Or just use a joining strip.

trim1.gif

4. Also to use a slightly blunt saw and go steady is normally the best way to cut it so it does not rip off the melamine (or whatever you want to call it) a brand new saw can ruin a piece of worktop if your not carefull

5. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

That's one beautiful joint :) Alas I don't have the proper tools to do the cut :(

Thanks

John

6. Saw someone do the firs joint with a handsaw once its definitely possible to acheive but id just go for the 45 degree one if it was me and the corner was square, if not id bisect the angle and do it that way

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In a workshop, I would just 45º it, support it, glue it and screw it(up through the support).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Mr Jenks

Mr Jenks Member

I you are using a jigsaw to cut the worktop you need to use blades that cut on the downward stroke otherwise its curtains for the Melamine top.
    A decent Router can also do the job but just make sure everything is set up square.

regards
    Mr J

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Or cut the worktop upside down.

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Turn upside as Chip suggest, jigsaws are handy but will not cut a straight line.

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

A decent handsaw will give a better cut than a jig saw. Try a circular saw with a bit of wood clamped as a guide if you do not have a router.

12. stitch-up

stitch-up Member

Thanks for all the tips everyone, very much appreciated.

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you know much about Brother Industrial sewing machine DB2, my mum has one with a clutch motor, and thinking of getting a servo motor fitted, as these are quieter. She got the machine from a friend.