Jointing cable

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Hey guys, What do you guys prefer/think is best, maint free jb or crimping?

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I've never used an mf jb, Ben. Always crimp. Not that I never will, just that up to now always crimped. Space and application will influence which one. :)

3. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Cheers mate, do you use heat shrink around the crimps?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

And what size heat shrink for 2.5mm

5. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

It is a superior joint to use heat shrink but it is sometimes awkward to slip it over the cable before you joint if its in a tight space. With heat shrink you need to be able to direct the heat gun around the whole joint. Insulation tape, although frowned upon by purists, is better than nowt. ;)

Last edited: Dec 17, 2013
    FatHands likes this.
  6. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Wagos all the time now. Some years ago used the Ideal 'push-in' ones, but they weren't, umm, ideal. The Wago lever connectors and 'push & lever' combos are great.
    ScrewFix were selling them at 1/2 price some months ago.
    They're like crack with respect to efficiency and ease of use to use. Only now I'm having to buy them at full price...

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I've never used Wago connectors. I guess I'll get around to using them one day. I suppose one disadvantage with them is they aren't 'in-line' so you cant do a straight joint like you can with crimps. Perfect for enclosures though, I agree.

8. sinewave

sinewave Screwfix Select

Inside, Wago's etc

Outside, above ground, Wago's etc in an IP Box

Underground, A proprietory cold pour resin jointing kit for SWA and other approved outdoor cables approved for burying only.

9. jones.gareth

jones.gareth New Member

Hi, could anyone please advise which would be best for jointing cables when lowering sockets? The kitchen is being converted to a living area hence the sockets need lowering from their current position. Wall is dry lined. Thinking maintenance free within the wall rather than jb in the ceiling for access. Any advice appreciated.

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I know the joint aspect has been answered in your other thread, but, the fact is if you can avoid joints it would be a better solution. Joints, no matter how well accomplished, are a weakness, and vulnerable to future maintenance issues. I would strongly recommend a partial rewire in that room. Rip out all the sockets that are in the wrong place and chase out the wall for your cables where you really want them rather than extend the ones that are there. It makes more sense to do that because with careful planning you can avoid any joints in the wall and maintain a good circuit. I know its a lot more work but if you are going to do a job, do it well and do it right. Joints are useful for some situations but when you are undertaking a project like this it is the wrong way to go about it. More a bodge and unnecessary. Electrics tend to be treated with a reluctant-to-do-it attitude but they are just as important as any other part of the job.

FatHands, jones.gareth and KIAB like this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I have to agree with Unphased, a partial rewire is the correct & professional thing to do.

Did a house some years ago, they had used 30A juncton boxes (about 40 in total) to extend all the socket drops & then buried them in the wall, & plastered over them:eek:.

jones.gareth likes this.
  12. jones.gareth

jones.gareth New Member

I agree it should be done right. I was keen to hear of any permanent (non maintenance) solutions that would allow it to be done this way. I take it by partial rewire you mean take the jb back up to the ceiling to allow future access through the floor above? Thanks for the help

13. Stugadget

Stugadget Member

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

jones.gareth. If the sockets are on a ring circuit, which is most likely, you will have one leg that you can move to the left or the right towards the direction it is coming from to in effect lengthen that leg. You then terminate the accessory on that leg and run a new leg from there to the next accessory. You are replacing short lengths of the circuit with new longer lengths eliminating joints. That what I meant. A junction box in the ceiling is still no good, there should be no need if you can reconfigure the wiring routes.

15. jones.gareth

jones.gareth New Member

Okay thanks unphased. I will chase out the walls and check the direction. If I can lengthen without a joint then great. If not then I will have to decide on what to do. thanks for the advice