Joist banging copper pipe

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by scash5, Jun 2, 2015.

1. scash5

scash5 New Member

Hi, I have 15mm copper going through joists but get the usual banging when the CH is on. I'd prefer not to drain the system and replace so can I wedge the holes to eliminate banging? Or any other suggestions?

2. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

Screw a batten to the joist directly below the pipe and secure the pipe with a pipe clip.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Are the pipes running through the joists or are the joists 'notched' at the top to accept the pipework?

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Soft foam(lagging) or silicone I'd say.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. scash5

scash5 New Member

Through, not notched

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

If there is space around the pipe, then fit some felt lagging. The banging noise occurs when the pipes get hot and due to expansion and contraction rubbing against the wood.

7. scash5

scash5 New Member

Thanks. Not much room for lagging so the batten / clip suggestion could be the only option.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is the stuff used when doing my CH pipes, the joist were notched, so I could wrap the felt around the pipes on the joist. its thinner than foam lagging. Available from local plumbers merchant, there are two types one on the roll and another a sock type which slides over the pipe, use the prior.

If the pipes haven't been drilled down too deep, maybe notch them, but try the clip method first.

9. PLEASE DON'T NOTCH THE JOISTS. EVER.

10. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Nobody is notching joists, as the original post says he has a pipe making a noise and then later confirms it goes through the joist not notched. Wish people would read properly before replying to the threads.

11. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

If you read the post properly he has already said the pipe is drilled the joist and not notched, if people would read posts first then they may be able to give an answer that would be creditable.

12. scash5

scash5 New Member

Sure. I'm guessing he/she thinks if close to the surface I could notch out and fix with clips. I also wondered if you could squirt a lubricant in the hole (no jokes please)

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

From what you have said Im afraid the only real guanreneed cure is to cut out the offending section, notch and lag as previously described.
    Have to say you dont often see copper through joists like that as its not usually flexiable enough to feed through. Also sounds as though the installer has left the holes incredibly tight.

14. moppylhd

moppylhd Member

I think the Construction Project Manager meant don't notch the joists in general. He probably believes it may weaken the joists to a degree that the building will become unstable and fall down.

15. Big Dunk

Big Dunk Active Member

But that depends how far to the centre the pipes are run. The maximum you can generally notch a joist would be 25-30 mm from the top edge.
    Joists are not oversized any more as the smallest joist for the job is generally used now to save cost, hence why notching is frowned upon.

16. Dave does Gas

Can still be done provided its done to the specs below.

www.tameside.gov.uk/buildingcontrol/guidancenotes/note7.pdf

I wonder if this is a new build. If so the OP should get the builders back in to rectify as he has comeback under the NHBS scheme, or if its a new system in an old house get the installers back.

17. scash5

scash5 New Member

Sorry, I should have mentioned. This is a 1970's extension over a garage. Really impressed with the responses however, must include more details next time. I'm new to this forum lark :)

18. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

19. I did read the post, my response referred to this post:

So next time read the thread not just the OP.

olddurro likes this.
  20. Dave does Gas