Kiln dried timber... absolutely saturated

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Whitling2k, Apr 7, 2014.

1. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Hey - quick question... But have a been done over here?

Just had a load of "kiln dried, treated, regularised timber" delivered... But 2/3rds of it looks like it's been sitting outside, in a puddle! They are saturated.

Cheers whitling2k

2. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Whitling, get the yard to come back and replace it. Have you turned the pile over? Is it in stick because if it is it won't matter too much. Is it blue? If it is then you want replacement. Is it on site ready to work with and how much is there? If it's a lot then maybe not worth handballing it all back onto the truck and then replacing the lot.

It doesn't do any harm to go potty once in a while and let them know you don't accept substandard goods. Inevitably it impacts on you and the service you can provide to your customer.

Good luck Whitling.

3. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Hey Vivaro,

Problems sort out the wheat from the chaff!

Called them early doors - to say they were not interested would be an understatement! "It's all like that" "can't be that wet" "well it did rain yesterday" some of their choice comments.

Unfortunately it's waterlogged - more than a single showers worth!

Note to self: avoid Malton Jewsons in future!

Cheers

Whitling2k

4. vivaro man

vivaro man Active Member

Whitling, my attitude is if it's tanalised fair enough. If it isn't then get them down there to shift their shoddy waterlogged goods off my customer's property.

Have you paid for it? If it's booked down to your account ask to see their sales manager on site and make him an offer on his goods.

If you cannot do that get the timber off the ground, put every 3rd layer in stick and leave it to air dry. You'll need a 3x3 at both ends and one in the middle to prevent a deflection forming. Do not wrap it, all that does is seal the damp in. There are some wrappings that allow wood to breathe but I doubt Jewsons have provided any.

I think you'll be OK. Kiln dried wood, spruce or larch, is fairly good unless it's been stood in water.

5. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Hey,

I've got it laid out flat on some mesh - with todays lovely sun and breeze circulating around it it should dry out OK.

It's tannelised so should be ok there too. I've already paid - and I've given them chance to put it right - all i can (be bothered to...) do now is leave it to dry for a few days. And vote with my wallet for the rest of my renovation. Luckilly i've got an MkM and TP nearby too!

It's for my own use so no 3rd party to complicate things.

Thanks for advice,

Whitling2k

6. Gatefitter

Gatefitter New Member

Hi
    If this is being used for internal work then send it back, it will twist and warp all over the place ifused inside a warm room.
    If external work then you can stick it ( place gaps between each layer with sticks) leave where the air can get to it and it will dry slowly and get back to correct moisture content, but if its very wet then it will take a time.
    May also produce a black mould on the top or blueing, which is not a problem if you can light sand and paint but does not look good if left natural.
    Overall depends on what you are using it for. For more information you can contact Pete at * and ask him a question or speak to him and he will give you more precise advice if you need it

Edited by Screwfix.Peter

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2014