Kitchen cabinet question

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Diydoug, Aug 4, 2015.

1. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

hi. Our kitchen cabinets have been cut along their bases so there are chunks taken out along the back edges. Our fitter says this is standard to let air circulate behind the unit. It looks a mess when you are sitting at the kitchen table. Is he right or is this an excuse for a quick fix when the walls are a bit uneven? I want to cover the big gaps with some strips of wood, is this wrong and should I leave room for air to circulate?

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

???? Air to circulate where exactly, have the cupboard got backs in them??

3. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Yes the cupboards have 16mm back boards so are very solid

4. Phil the Paver

So these cuts would be behind the back board, yes.

5. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Yes. I've tried to post a photo but it has not come out too well.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Maybe something to do with the lights installed there!

Whether they are needed or not, that is a very poor job.

Looks like someone has shoved a handsaw up there without removing the units and blindly cut a gap.

How long they been up? They don't look newly installed.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

7. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

All the cabinets, whether there are lights or not have the cuts out top and bottom. The lights are cool LEDs so not sure they need ventilation. The units have been up a few weeks, I hadn't cleaned underneath before taking the photos!

8. Phil the Paver

Ok, I would say it very poor workmanship in that case, the only time you would cut the back/edge of a cabinet would be to allow airflow around an appliance, like a fridge or microwave.

9. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Hmmm. I thought so. So no sensible reason that I can't try and tidy it up with some of the left over strips of plinth then?

10. Phil the Paver

None that I can think of, except as Handy said airflow for the lights.

11. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Great, thanks guys. If I leave the gaps at the tops of the cupboards that can't be seen anyway there will be a vent but the lights do not seem to get warm.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just encourages bugs to get up there in my opinion.

I went round ours with a concave (coving shape) 20mm moulding, top and bottom. Our units were built with 10mm gap between sides.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

13. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Well I wish you had been fitting our kitchen rather than Mastercraft Kitchens. I've used some of the left over plinth on the bottom of the cupboards that can be seen from the kitchen table. I will try and find the moulding you recommend to finish the rest. Thanks for the advice. image.jpg

14. Wow - that's better than ever :)

I bet you're now glad they made that mess so's you could improve on it so well... :D

Diydoug likes this.
  15. wdodds

wdodds New Member

Horrendous and totally unnecessary butchery

16. I thought Doug did ok :(

Diydoug likes this.
  17. Phil the Paver

LOL, Very droll. :p:p

18. Diydoug

Diydoug New Member

Cheers Phil. If you want to see butchery look at how they finished the edge around the sink gluing a board onto of the unit with the unsealed chipboard edge showing through the kitchen window! I had to rip that out and start again. Have finally got an electrician to check the lights etc and he is not happy with the wiring and is going to have to take off the upstands at least, and probably take the floor up to redo bits. There may yet be butchery...!

Attached Files:

19. Phil the Paver

My god, who did it, Bodge it and Leg it. :):), that's bloody awful.

20. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Total ****!:eek::)

Take the bugger to the small claims court, you win hands down.:)