Kitchen cupboard door handles

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by DSM 77, Nov 22, 2007.

1. DSM 77

DSM 77 New Member

What's the best way of fitting handles? measuring and drilling a holes I know but on many doors what's the quickest method?

2. Butt Scribe

Butt Scribe New Member

measuring and drilling like you said. however the quickst way I find for marking drawers is to;

measure length between screw holes on handle..

measure this length from one side of drawer facia and mark...

measure length from other end of drawer facia to mark...

divide this length by 2 and you have your measurement in from each side. this should match handle perfectly.

3. DSM 77

DSM 77 New Member

cheers mate, is there a jig I can buy to save measuring each time or should I make one i.e. piece of wood and clamp it on?

4. Butt Scribe

Butt Scribe New Member

well not all handles are the same size.

You can buy a drilling guide for a couple of quid in B&Q. You just line up the handle with the guide mark the holes that suit the handle. Then line up the guide on the door and mark the holes.

5. DSM 77

DSM 77 New Member

great cheers mate

6. Butt Scribe

Butt Scribe New Member

7. DSM 77

DSM 77 New Member

Excellent. Thanks again

8. essex-fitter

essex-fitter New Member

I always make up a jig out of a piece of off cut, glue a piece about 15mm wide top and on one side. These rest against the top and side of the door. Mark the positions on the jig, drill through with a 4mm bit. You can use the jig either on the front or back of the door depending which side it's hinged. Hope this makes sense!

9. Stretch

Stretch Member

I had one of those B&Q guides until I got myself a handle drilling jig from Hafele. It consists of a couple of sliding hole positioners and a distance from edge and a distance from bottom of door/drawer positioner. I would post a link to it but unless you've got an account with them you won't be able to view it on their website.

Stretch

[Edited by: admin2]

10. Stretch

Stretch Member

Thought so. Just tried it and it just takes you to the log in page!! :)

11. macaulay

macaulay New Member

12. Stretch

Stretch Member

That's the one Malc.

13. russ295

russ295 New Member

how much is it stretch?

russ

14. Stretch

Stretch Member

Just over £30.00 if I remember rightly

15. Joelp1

Joelp1 New Member

for drawers i put the handle on before it fit the front onto the drawer. Put it in the centre by eye, mark it, measure in from each side, compare figures, adjust to make right. Usually just a few mm out.

Doors i just get the slave labour to do them :) Then go round correcting them! :^O

16. handiegauge

handiegauge New Member

To help you fit all types of handles from 0 to 555mm, there is a new product on the market called the handiegauge. You only need measure once, and the gauge will stay at the same position for all you handles. All your handles will be level and the same position. For more info, see www.solidlock.co.uk where there is a link to a supplier and fitting instructions. The gauge is made of 'k' plastic for durability. I hope you will find this useful.

17. The Handle King

The Handle King New Member

Hi,
    you can find a really useful guide to fitting handles here.

It shows you how to make a simple jig using timber offcuts and some masking tape to mark the door with. All you need is a tape measure, spirit level, awl and power drill/driver.

Click on the tips and guide section at http://www.tradehandles.co.uk/

If you need advise on handles you can talk to John/Scott on 01603 871055.

I hope that helps

18. I bought a plastic guide from IKEA I think it was about £1. It has loads of holes in it and you line it up.

19. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Send us some free samples and we'll let you know!