Kitchen Design Help?!

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Chris101, Dec 24, 2016.

1. Chris101

Chris101 Member

Due to substandard building work on our kitchen/diner 3 years ago, we are now having to have our kitchen floor completely taken out and re-done!

While this is going to be taking place we have decided to put in a new handmade bespoke or German kitchen.

Our current Kitchen functions well in terms of movement but in terms of design and storage, we want it change it around completely.

We are also taking advantage of having this building work to put in a dedicated utilities room.

We have been to a few kitchen companies and the two we liked most I have provided below.

Proposed Design 1 we like the most in terms of storage and layout, however the only area of concern is free flowing movement.

Currently the kitchen flows really well in terms of getting around the island, eating at the diner table and getting to the sink/DW with ease but with Design 1 we would obviously have one way in and out and make the process a little longer (Not saying this is an out right issue but not sure how practice it will be with 3 young children at present).

What are your thoughts in terms of best design and do any of you have have any other ideas?

Our Current Kitchen/Diner Floor Plan -
    [​IMG]

Current Kitchen Layout -
    [​IMG]

Kitchen Design 1 -
    [​IMG]

Kitchen Design 2 -
    [​IMG]

2. Chris101

Chris101 Member

Our Current Kitchen/Diner Floor Plan -
    [​IMG]

Current Kitchen Layout -
    [​IMG]

Kitchen Design 1 -
    [​IMG]

Kitchen Design 2 -
    [​IMG]

3. I'd love to have a look at this, Chris, but I'd also like to go offski to sis-in-law's for Chrimbo breakie.

Guess what's going to win :)

4. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

When I saw this, the first thing I thought of was a hidden door into the small area - then noticed it was included in design 1.

Design 1 may have a bit of "wow factor", design 2 looks a bit boring

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Design 1 my favourite.

6. Do not like any of them,current one,design 1 or design 2.
    I would be constructing a couple of stud walls to make proper rooms, as I dislike carp contemporary open plan.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If my place I also would be building a stud wall, as I dislike open plan, especially kitchens, know of some one other week had tumble dryer fire in open plan kitchen, gutted whole ground floor which was also open plan, & extensive damage first floor as well, due to staircase next to kitchen.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 25, 2016
  8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Main problem in a kitchen like this is the light

I would put the units on the long wall without the windows and use cabinet lights to brighten it up.

BTW How sad are we on Christmas Day :oops::rolleyes:

Doall likes this.
  9. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Scary to see people putting any appliance under the stairs, I'd never do it. To think, the main upstairs escape route could be gone in seconds.
    Appliance faults are not uncommon too, only in the last few years multiple washers and tumble dryers have been recalled for fire-causing faults.

10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Think of it as 'dedication':p

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Women left wet washing in tumble dryer. which was on delay timer to start at a cetain time, but water from washing drain into to sump where it collected & shorted out electrics, fuse never tripped.
    No smoke alarm either, so it burned for several hours before a neigbour spotted the smoke.
    And no insurance.:eek:

12. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

Very, very scary to imagine.

Surprising how common it is for people to not have smoke alarms or no batteries in them.
    I still think wired alarms with a battery are one of the best things recommended by electrical regs.

13. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

My step daughter had one of those condensing tumble driers that was the subject of a notice telling people not to use them until a service engineer had been out to rectify a design fault. Took just over a year before it was eventually fixed.
    In that year she found out what the two posts with a line strung between them was for in her back garden. (and saved a fortune on the leccy bill too) ;);)

Doall and Joe95 like this.