Kitchen end panels

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Cliffandher, Oct 26, 2016.

1. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Not fitted kitchen before and may get someone to do it but at the moment i am trying to plan the kitchen and want to make sure I have all things ready for ordering. The kitchen will be an L shape with sink in the middle of the bottom of the L, I plan to have an intergrated washer and dishwasher either side of the sink.
    1. Do I need end panel either side of the washer and dishwasher, one side will come off a corner unit which will have the corner post so I assume no end panel needed there, after the washer will be the sink unit, should I have an end panel before the kitchen unit. then the other side of the sink unit will be the dishwasher, again should there be an end panel before the dishwasher, then the unit runs ends so there will be an end unit there to support the worktop.
    2. On the subject of end panels, where they come down either side of a range cooker should they continue to the floor at the front or be cut back to allow plinth to go straight across.

2. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'd be inclined to have end panels either side of a free standing range cooker, purely for asthetics.

3. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

cheers CGN, would you leave the end panels complete to the floor or would you cut back for a plinth?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You would need end panels, otherwise anything you put in the undersink cupboard could fall behind the appliances.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think having the plinth run under the range would look strange and I would run them up to the end panel.

koolpc likes this.
  6. njm

njm Member

No need for end panels next to an integrated appliance as the door fascia will look like just another cupboard door when its fitted to the appliance door. Where a freestanding appliance is concerned e.g your range cooker, then use end panels to finish the run of units either side and run your plinths into the end panels under the units and not under the range.

7. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Def to the floor...looks so much better :)

8. Cliffandher

Cliffandher Member

Sorry Phil, you have lost me there, I assume the undersink cupboard is a cupboard so would have sides and base.... :confused:

9. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

I always got end panels between appliances looks much better as mentioned by CGN, if you want to save a few quid You can rip one in half (as long as they are edged and finished both sides) as you can use each half for either side of appliance like a dishwasher or washing machine and rip down so you can have a continuous plinth under appliances , but full height and deptend panels between range cooker

10. njm

njm Member

Also...you will need to block the open side of the corner base unit as you only ever get one door obviously, but its cheeper to use a piece of melamine or if you can utilise the shelf as you can very rarely fit the shelf in a sink unit. Be carefull of your measurements with corner units as the corner post adds on about 30/40mm to the unit length (making it actually about 1030/1040mm for whats actually called a 1000mm base unit) this can cause problems if youve only allowed for bang on 1000mm and you are fitting inbetween 2 walls for instance.

11. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Corner base will come with prefinished hardboard blank to cover end and the corner post can be fitted at various points on the unit so you could have a 600mm or 500mm door the corner post won't add on any extra length to the unit??

CGN likes this.
  12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Might be nice to use a bit of end panel off the corner post...perhaps a half as suggested and then create a return to brace it. Will add a bit of 'visual solidity'. Cutting them in half is a good dodge btw, often do that :)

Doall and SWBUILDERS like this.
  13. njm

njm Member

This is what i meant scott...
    plan-a-corner.jpg
    The corner post shuffles the unit along the wall so that the corner post runs in line to the unit coming off at right angle to it,it doesnt fit tight into the corner due to this and creates a gap...meaning e.g- a 1800mm gap will not be able to accomodate a 1000mm corner unit a 500mm unit and a 300mm unit as the 1000mm actually unit takes up more than 1000mm...comprende? ...also not all units come with a panel to block off the void

Cliffandher likes this.
  14. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

i am aware of how to set a corner of a kitchen out but thanks for the explanation, what you wrote in your previous post was wrong as you said it would add 30mm to the length of the unit witch is not the case,

for a 500mm door you need to set off the unit around 120mm from the wall but this can be reduced if using a 400mm door or increased if using a 600mm door all this assuming you are using a 1000mm carcass, so to say the corner post adds length but it actually adds width to the shooting unit if that's what you mean

I've never had a carcass supplied without a blank unless it's been delivered and been forgotten

15. njm

njm Member

Yeah sorry mate, i guess i sounded a bit patronising trying to explain what i meant....I always fit howdens as thats the contractors choice and theyve never come with panels? Also fitted a few wickes corner units and they never either , always thought it was a bit of a swizz having to block it off yourself like!...who do you use that supplies them then?

16. SWBUILDERS

SWBUILDERS Active Member

Ha that's ok mate, I've always had them from Howdens but it's added on by them when they do the design called a corner blank or something, magnet do them comes taped to inside of carcass same with even b and q and home base kitchens I've fitted