Kitchen Showrooms- which ones to go to?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by wau5, Feb 24, 2017.

1. wau5

wau5 Active Member

I will be starting kitchen demo soon and I'm making plans for the kitchen right now, I have no actual Intention to purchase anything as I will make everything myself So I'm a total tire kicker :D . However... I would like to browse around and get some ideas about what kind of materials/sinks/worktops/designs etc. I want in mine and just to confirm few plans I have ,seeing countless of online images is one thing..other is actually going in and seeing it for myself :D

I have had a quick look at some of the sheds while picking up some stuff, Homebase- they had absolutely terrible quality stuff on displays #-o , B&Q if I remember was a bit better but still total Meh...low quality chipboard **** everywhere :( Wickes probably was the best, but still mostly very low quality stuff for the prices they ask for them. Also I visited some Magnet kitchens, but the one I visited was really really small without much on display. Are there any large national Kitchen chains like for tiles they have Tilegiant/topps, is there something for kitchens as well where they have loads of designs in store and have something a bit more quality?

Thanks in advance :)

2. Personally, I think out of B and Q , Wickes, Homebase and Ikea,that B Q are the best units. Their cooke and lewis are as good as any other kitchen units generally available.

Find 1 of their bigger depots so you can see the full range.

But I have to admit that Ikea have lots of ideas on kitchens, and are a close second.

3. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Just been fitting a Wren kitchen. Units are about average (although ready assembled) Their kitchen plans however only come on A4 paper and don't show details clearly enough. At least one unit is slightly out of square too (but not overly so). Installation instructions (from Wren) are poor if you're going to DIY. Plus when they deliver, you're supposed to check every box/ unit/ piece within 48 hrs of delivery.
    Ikea kitchens are a strange one though. No service void at the rear, so pipework has to be planned carefully. If your walls are out of plumb, there's very little chance of scribing units to the wall (more so with the tall units).

CGN and KIAB like this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Agree JJ, scribing units no chance in hell with Ikea, & they are a pia, having no service void.

6. Is the op after quality units to fit, or just ideas to make his own from?

7. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Just to browse around for ideas, will be making my own, as in re-using some old cabinets by just re-facing with new doors and making a couple of new cabinets from scratch.Not looking to purchase anything really.

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I do understand the issues with Ikea, but if it's only ideas you want they have some really good options available

KIAB and Deleted member 164349 like this.
  9. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Pipework isn't an issue if it can be routed below the level of the bottom of the units, and as long as there's not a pipe run going up into the ceiling. But as I said earlier, if the walls are out of plumb, then scribing is extremely difficult/ impossible.

10. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Try a Mobalpa showroom. They have some clever designs using what is basically sheets of chipboard cut up. Very on trend designs but simple enough to make.

Or Wigmore St in London to see the really high end stuff.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The other problems with Ikea kitchen and wardrobe units is that the "flat back" prevents air flow at the back and have seen lots of problems with mold and damp behind them