kitchen sink fitting issues

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by lynuke, Mar 24, 2014.

1. lynuke

lynuke New Member

I would like some advice on the fitting of a sink in my new kitchen please.
    I had my kitchen designed and supplied by B&Q but want to fit it my self. Everything is going ok up to now, but fitting the base units where the sink is going to be housed looks an odd design. I am installing a single bowl composite sink into a 500mm base unit. It has a RHS draining board which carrys on over an 800mm unit. The problem I can see, is that the taps/over flow would end up sitting over the sides of the two adjoining units. Is this normal and would chopping out some of the sides to accommodate this weaken the units?

Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I would say it quite common for that to happen and shouldn't be much of a problem.

3. Lyn, as Phil says, it's unavoidable in your case. Gettit? Un-a-void-able... fnurrr fnurrr

cough

If you'd have chosen a 600mm base unit for yer sink, you'd likely have been ok.

But, unless you wanted a drawer in that next unit, it really doesn't make any difference.

Oh, you did want a drawer... :rolleyes:

Phil the Paver likes this.
  4. lynuke

lynuke New Member

Thanks for the response guy's. Unfortunately due to quite a small kitchen, 500 was the best fit. I was just slightly concerned about the structural integrity of chopping into the top supports and side panels of the units and was this normal practice. I will Just have to make sure I don't butcher the units to much and go for it.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Can't you swap the 500mm and 800mm units around?? (so the sink fits into the 800mm unit?) ;);)

6. Phil the Paver

maybe the 800 is going into a corner, hence why it was designed that way.

7. lynuke

lynuke New Member

As Phil said John, the 800 is in the corner and the run along the other wall comes off that.

8. joinerjohn1

Ahh gotcha.. Strange design with the sink being so close to the corner. Could cause further issues with the worktop joint. ;);)

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Probably have to do some nifty pipe bending or use of flexi-pipe!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

10. lynuke

lynuke New Member

It is quite a small kitchen. Ive got a 450 dishwasher on the end then 500/800 units. I'm going to get a pro in to sort the worktop.
    I've already got the pipe work fed to the 500.

11. joinerjohn1

I think even a pro is going to struggle with the worktop issue (unless you go with those crappy looking metal joining strips, which might just be the best solution) ;);)

12. lynuke

lynuke New Member

Defo don't want to go down the metal strip route John. I was thinking if the work top was jointed before the sink was cut in, it would not matter as the draining board side actually sat on top of the work top as apposed to in it. But not doing this for a living it seems I maybe missing something. :confused:

13. Phil the Paver

If the sink you have is the type that the draining board does sit on top of the worktop then yes join it first and then cut the hole for the sink, that way the joint isn't a problem.

14. joinerjohn1

It is possible for a good fitter to only cut out the bit where the bowl of the sink goes, and cut out a few slots for the sink fixings for the draining board. (at least leaves more material for the actual join in the worktop) The main issue however is stopping water affecting the joint (and you know water is going to get to it, with the position of the draining board, no matter how careful you are) ;);)

EDIT,, I'm assuming your having laminate worktop (always dangerous to assume,, I know, I know)

15. lynuke

lynuke New Member

Just had the 1st of 3 fitters out to price the job up for me and he seemed to think with the position of the joint and providing a decent job is made if it, there should no problem. But I will ask the other 2 for their opinions as well and take it from there. (Laminate worktop by the way)