LAP 50w PIR floodlight

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Joe oneill, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Joe oneill

Joe oneill New Member

Hi all just bought a 50w LAP PIR 5000l floodlight to replace an old standard floodlight.
    Anyway wired it all up connected through a junction box due to the new one having 3 core already connected to the light and the old one being wired directly to the light
    L+L
    N+N
    E+E
    it's ran of a 2 way gang switch inside the house that Controls the kitchen light as well
    Anyway when I turn the outdoor light on by the switch only the bottom three stripes of LED'S light up and flicker.
    Here's the weird part when it's on and flickering the kitchen light is also on and flickering but when I turn the kitchen one on the floodlight dosnt come on....

Any suggestions or is the light broke?

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Did you make any changes at the switch?

Joe oneill likes this.
  3. Joe oneill

Joe oneill New Member

I haven't opened the switch up at all I've just got the house the old light was busted

4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Line and neutral mixed up some where, so the outside light working in series not parallel. Likely a smaller lamp would have worked better, but likely in the switch some one has assumed blue/black was neutral where it was the switched line.

Joe oneill likes this.
  5. Joe oneill

Joe oneill New Member

I'll open the switch up tomorrow and have a check

Thanks lads

6. Joe oneill

Joe oneill New Member

Everything in the switch is correct as well

7. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

If I'm installing lights at heights I always test them on the ground first for this very reason. As above on the face of it you have a line and neutral reversal in the mix somewhere.

Joe oneill likes this.
  8. Hager the Horrible

Hager the Horrible Active Member

IS correct or LOOKS correct?

Joe oneill likes this.
  9. Joe oneill

Joe oneill New Member

Is correct but the cable that goes in the junction box is brown and blue but in the switch black and red so therefor there must be another junction box somewhere no?

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

The colours of a cable don't magically change half way down the route! There must be a junction box, (or maybe another switch?) somewhere.
    You are going to have to get your Junior Sherlock Holmes kit out.

Joe oneill likes this.
  11. Joe oneill

Joe oneill New Member

Damn right am I