Large capacity tunnel terminals

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Les Tergit, May 28, 2017.

1. Les Tergit

Les Tergit New Member

I need a double socket with Large capacity tunnel terminals. I have found a few white plastic ones but cannot find a brushed steel one. Any suggestions where I can get one?

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

MK and Crabtree usually have larger than normal terminal capacities. Have you looked at their sockets?

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Most will accept 3x2.5 T&E cores quite happily, i.e. Spur off a ring

What are you connecting to this socket

4. Les Tergit

Les Tergit New Member

DIY Dave, I need terminals that will take 1 x 6 mm² as well as 1 x 10 mm²

Last edited: May 29, 2017
  5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

For a double 13A socket outlet?
    Please, what are you trying to do?

6. Les Tergit

Les Tergit New Member

Bazza, it's a bit of a saga. I have a double socket which used to be be for a cooker switch. This is on a 30 Amp fuse. This socket is used for a microwave. I want to run a spur off this for another double socket to supply a washing machine and a 13 Amp gas cooker plug. When I consulted a Pukka-Gen Leckie about this he felt that the work needed to upgrade the kitchen wiring (including a consumer unit) did nor warrant the cost when all I needed was another socket. He gave me 'friendly' advise on fitting the spur socket and said that I should use a 6 mm² cable. When I took off the front of the existing socket I found that it was fed by a 10 mm² cable. So I need a socket that has terminal that will take 6 mm² and 10 mm² cables.

7. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

You won't find one. 13A socket outlet terminals take 3x4mm cables at a max, and that usually involves a combination of yoga, wire-origami and brute force.

8. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

The only way ull do that, is fit 1 way consumer unit. fit 20a mcb then wire in 2.5mm t&e to sockets . Rcd protection will be req'd and you will have to carry out testing before and after works! Just a suggestion!

9. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Can't you fit a cooker switch with a courtesy socket on it use the the load terminal for your double socket

10. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Or a Dual Appliance Plate, one output to your socket, one going to the whateveritis.

But as above. The sockets will need to be RCD protected. Is that circuit on the RCD protected part of the CU?

11. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Joint the 10mm to some 4mm, possibly in a coffin JB on top of a wall cabinet or similar. 4mm looping through your new sockets. 32amp MCB at origin.

12. jde

jde New Member

Go for the cooker switch option

13. Les Tergit

Les Tergit New Member

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Lectrician's and Sparkielev's solutions look to be the most viable. I like the combination of yoga, wire-origami and brute force. Brute force is my forte.

One last question, the 'Pukka-Gen Leckie' that I spoke to suggested using 6mm² cable for the spur socet (this was without knowing the full extent of the problem). Some of you have suggested using 4mm² cable. I presume it is ok to step-down from the existing 10mm² cable to 4mm² cable?

14. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the bit you're adding is only feeding a double socket outlet you can use 2.5mm cable. Yes I know it's on a 30 amp fuse but that doesn't matter as overload protection isn't required. Also, we use 2.5mm when adding a spur to a ring circuit, which will also be on a 30/32 amp fuse or mcb!

Les Tergit likes this.