Lath & Plaster Fixings

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by suds, Mar 8, 2006.

1. suds

suds New Member

Can anyone please advise me of a suitable fixing for uprights to accommodate adjustable shelving on a lath and plaster wall where no suitable timber studs are present.
    This is to eventualy hold expensive Hi Fi equipment.

2. russ295

russ295 New Member

if its that expensive, i would cut a chunk of the lath out and fix some noggins at the correct hieght and board over and skim. if its for a customer they wont be happy when thier B&O hifi is on the floor even more unhappy if it was my own!!

3. bodget&scarpers

bodget&scarpers New Member

there r fixings,u got 2 find em :)

4. russ295

russ295 New Member

5. britishblue

britishblue New Member

6. plastic bertrand

plastic bertrand Active Member

suds, russ is right, i live in a lath and plaster ridden house, when i fitted a new kitchen i ripped the L&P off, fitted noggins where needed, don't try any fixings in L&P

7. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Guest

I also have a lath and plaster house which can be a bloody pain.

The spring toggle suggestion seems to be the best, but there WILL be studs there.

It's harder to find them in lath and plaster with a detector as the density of the wall is not uniform.

If fixings are not working you could mount a back plate and just screw into studs where they exist or if the laths are in decent nick and you use good screws then its possible just to screw carefully into the laths. they can hold a fair bit.

Just don't batter into it with an 18V cordless driver though as you'll strip the wood out. Try it the old fashioned way!!!

8. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

studs in lath an plaster walls are generally closer than todays walls, i regulary find them at 12-13 inch centres

9. Quisitrix

Quisitrix New Member

I also have lathe and plaster walls but I can't strip them back because it's a rented council flat. I'm trying to put up a heavy duty rail in the kitchen to hang my pans and utensils from cause we have so little storage.

I hope to put a batton up first and fix the rail to that to spread the weight. I'm having difficulty finding the studs and the ones I think I've found are pretty weedy.

Can anyone advise me what to do (appart from getting back on the housing list.

Thanks

10. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

stop mucking around, take the lath and plaster off

put in extra studs if necessary, plasterboard and skim it

11. Quisitrix

Quisitrix New Member

Well I could do that (If I could afford to and I was fit enough) but then the Council clerk of works would throw a fit.

12. dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds New Member

oh well, thats that then

13. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Push an exploratory nail in(drill a hole first).

See if there's something solid near behind. You never know, you might find some brickwork, and be able to whack some 4" screws in for fixings.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

14. fooman

fooman New Member

Push an exploratory nail in(drill a hole first).

See if there's something solid near behind. You never
    know, you might find some brickwork, and be able to
    whack some 4" screws in for fixings.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

:^O

you not going to find any brick work behind a lath and plaster wall are you ?

think about it lath and plaster walls are stud walls !!!

15. Mr. Handyandy

Lath and plaster in my uncle's house was block-batten-lath-plaster.

Anything else I can help you with ?

Mr. HandyAndy - really

16. fooman

fooman New Member

suppose if you uncle is anything like you then anything is possible :)

17. Mr. Handyandy