Laying reclaimed bricks for a patio

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Rob_bv, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

The missus has been bugging me for ages to get a patio built in our back garden. I've got a couple of pallets of reclaimed and cleaned Belfast bricks from an extension job I completed a few months back, and they would (in my opinion!) look great as a patio.

I'm thinking of using a sealer (something similar to the stuff for stone tiles) and giving the bricks a coat or two before laying them, then a coat of masonry sealer over the finished surface in order to limit the amount of frost damage.

Has anyone done something similar before, and how did it work out? Any learned opinions as to whether this may be a daft idea?

Cheers!

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I bought 100 reclaimed Imperial sized Accrington Bricks to build a porch. However the wall measurements were more suited to metric bricks. I therefore used the Accringtons for the floor instead of tiles. One layer was laid on concrete the normal way up and the top layer was laid on edge and mortared with red colour added to the mortar. No other finish as it is inside but unheated in winter. Porch is under an existing roof which runs along the terrace of 5 houses and is double glazed so I don't suppose it gets that cold even in winter. With a patio you obviously will need to think of frost protection and no doubt someone will be along and advise you.