Laying Slabs for a shed base

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Gogs, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Gogs

Gogs Member

Have had this done a few times over the years and never seen it left like this.

My missus questioned it and was told just need some grass seed on it as the ground was not level.

I had a smaller kids shed in the corner before and yes the ground was not perfectly level but I would have said not far off being level, it just seems a bit messy and excessive?

Any professionals able to form opinion based on the attached photo

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Two reasons spring to mind.

1. The contractor was too lazy to dig out the ground.

2. The slabs are laid like that to stop rain water laying around the base of the shed, hard to tell from the pic if the garden falls towards that area.

3. Gogs

Gogs Member

I only seen bits of the job and they were never there when I was.

They did do some digging out as I came home to the mounds of earth lying around the area.

Is that a viable answer...I'm not gardener, just through down some grass seed

I would say the lawn fell slightly towards the house, ie where you can see the garden chair/bench

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

When you say excessive, surely it shows that extra work has been done to level(even) out over a larger area. It's all very well levelling just the shed area, but that might just leave the shed in a trough or on a hill. Only problem I see that might occur is that if that soil area is not compacted, it will eventually settle lower than the whole area(grass and shed base) adjacent to it, and become a large puddle/moat.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Gogs

Gogs Member

That's the reason I'm asking you guys, the pros, I just thought it seems a bit untidy and if sand had just been left lying around, it does appear that way, even if it was spread more evenly?

If I build the shed, the doors might not open into that mound of sand.

It's just I've had the job done in other places and never has it been left like that