Laying Slabs / Paving Blocks on Existing Concrete Base

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by nitonman, Jun 1, 2017.

1. nitonman

nitonman New Member

Hi all, I have an old stable base in the garden that I'm looking to lay a patio on. I've tried using a breaker to break it up but it's so thick and old that nothing seems to touch it! Went to my local merchant and was told that there would be issues with both block paving and slabs as any water that drains through the gaps would be unable to escape and could therefore cause problems.
    Any ideas as to how I should lay them and which would be best in this situation, block or slab or indeed any other ideas to convert into a patio area? (needs a flat surface for furniture and wife does NOT want decking!)
    Thanks

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Both Slabs and Block Paving are totally water proof if laid properly, yes there is a permeable Block Paving but you are still able to get the older style.

You will obviously need some form of drainage in the area.

As long as the existing concrete is low enough then there's no problems, in that it needs to be a minimum 75mm lower than the finished level.

3. nitonman

nitonman New Member

Thanks for the reply. It was explained to me that if surface water gets through to the base the paving was laid on, it can't escape and it pools under the surface causing lifting and other issues, if there is side drainage it can wash out the base layer ie sand.
    Obviously I don't want that to happen so was wondering if that does occur and the best way around it.
    Thanks again..