Laying solid oak flooring on existing floorboards

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mike.s, Dec 1, 2014.

1. mike.s

mike.s New Member

Hi,

I`m going to be laying solid oak tongue and groove flooring in our living room and through to the kitchen.

90% is currently timber floorboards and we have a bit of concrete around the chimney breast and some edging area.

I`m unsure of which underlay to use (or even if i have to use underlay) - there`s a lot of conflicting info out there!

I plan to run the new flooring at 90 degrees to the current flooring and was going to float the flooring with the T & G glued together on top of a wood fibre underlay with a 15mm expansion gap round the room under the skirting board, but now having read various articles, i`m not sure thats right!

Any advice is much appreciated!

Thanks, Mike

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014
  2. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

You must use underlay. The flooring manufacturer should recommend type of underlay for the various substrates. Make sure the existing floor is in a good state of repair before you start, screwing down and levelling any dodgy boards.

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There was a post some time ago where they had solid oak flooring and it would start creaking, only for it to be stripped.

4. mike.s

mike.s New Member

Thanks guys - I had a good look at the instructions tonight and they say I can use self adhesive underlay, glue directly to the floor or secret nail it down, so I think I'm going to go with the self adheisive underlay.

My wood flooring is fairly level and I've been going round screwing loose and creaky floor boards to the joists.

Just watched a couple of videos on YouTube and it's looks fairly straight forward - fingers crossed :)

5. mike.s

mike.s New Member

Hi, just one last question - is it best lay all the underlay for the room out first it do the room in sections?

Cheers, mike

6. I can't see that it really matters, so do whatever suits your circumstances I reckon :)

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Would be more comfortable if all laid out before.

8. Yeah, comfy for who? Eh?