Leak from bathroom into ceiling below???

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Movieman334, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

Hi all

I have the following colour stains on the ground floor ceiling. It is directly below the bathroom which contains a tub, toilet and small wash basin.

Wanted to ask.

- How can I find out which appliance is leaking without having to pull up floor boards
    - The patches appear far apart does this mean there is more than one leak?
    - Why does it appear the colour it is ?

Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Not sure how to tell which item is causing this - obviously check everything that's visible above the floor level, like the pan outlet is sealed with no drips, remove the bath panel for a gander (good chance that'll come up trumps), etc.

Or, avoid that bathroom (do you have another?) and regularly use just one item at a time - eg ill and use ONLY the bath for a few days. Or use ONLY the toilet for a few days (and run to a basin elsewhere...) and keep monitoring the stains.

No, not necessarily more than one leak (more than one leak would be pretty darned unlucky, eh) - it's likely to be more the route the water takes before it finds places to come through the ceiling. This is usually where p'board sheets join so's there's a wee crack there.

Colour? That's pretty typical colour, even for clean water - by the time it's collected dust etc in the ceiling void, and come through the plaster layer, that's a normal colour (it isn't pooey...)

Tho' it could be...

3. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

It could be coming from pipework, either a leaking cold or hot water pipe, or a waste pipe. No way of knowing really without pulling floor boards or taking down the ceiling.

Something you could try if you have the time and ability, is not to use anything and see what happens. If it dries then you know its to do with an appliance or waste pipe.

4. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

It looks to be confined to one run of joist but could be anywhere along that run, afraid it's floor lifting time get a couple of boards up then use a mirror and torch to examine the area.

5. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If mixer taps on shower seal around pipes where they enter wall. Grout ok? Sealant around tray ok? Stand corner to corner across.. Dose tray rock as you move your weight?

6. Use a piece of toilet paper and wipe it around the pan outlet and all other visible pipes to detect any leaks.

Have you removed the bath panel yet? Very good chance the source is in there - so will be easy to sort.

7. Then lift boards... :oops:

8. Doall

Doall Active Member

Stand in the bath and see if there’s any movement around the edges that are siliconed?
    Regards david

9. Movieman334

Movieman334 Active Member

Thanks for your thoughts guys . I will take all comments on board. And let you know how I get on. It seems the floor boards have to come up and a plumber is needed so that's what I'll do .

Thanks again everyone

10. Doall

Doall Active Member

Lifting floorboards would be last resort. Once bath panel removed shine a torch round the walls underneath bath and see if there any signs of water residual
    Regards david

11. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

Agreed, it looks more like seepage from a faulty bath seal than an actual pipe leak (actual pipe leaks are normally confined to one small area). Is the bath directly above? Do you have a shower over?