Leaking compression fittings - PTFE tape

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Teki, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

I've had to undo and reconnect some compression fittings and can't seem to stop them from leaking after reassembling them with the same olive and nut?

I have tried cleaning the pipe/fitting and tightening the nut a little more but they still seem to weep?

The only solution I've found is to wrap PTFE tape on and around the olive. Is this normal when reassembling the fitting?

I'm considering using an olive remover and using new olives and nuts on all the fittings that I have used PTFE on.

Is there something I should be doing to ensure a leak-free compression join without PTFE?

Thanks!

2. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

It's normal to use the PTFE on the threads

1st I've heard of it being wrapped on the Olive though

Perhaps a plumber will enlighten us on whether or not Olive should be wrapped up

3. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

If it's stopped the leak, why worry? :rolleyes:

4. Welshdragon1

As the age old saying goes

"If a jobs is worth doing, it is worth doing well"

MaccaW and Teki like this.
  5. I'm not a plumber but through some leaks that I have had before when trying to what you are doing , I would strongly recommend that you buy an olive puller ( about £20 ) and replace the olives.
    You can slip the olives off using a pair of pump pliers but you have to be careful just to grip the olive and with a twisting action and a bit of pulling it should come off without damaging the pipe.
    But I would go with the olive puller, it's just my opinion

Teki likes this.
  6. A pair of pump pliers set betwixt t'end of the pipe (careful...) and behind the loose nut, and gently prised down (swapping sides if necessary) will ease off most olives.

But, in most cases (ie - where the nut hasn't been overtightened/undone numerous times) I find a light smear of Fernox Hawk White over the old olive and on the pipe threads does the job chust fine. I don't bother with PTFE any more - too much hassle.

7. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Had a leak from a water pump after replacing the bath tap at home, same problem with one compression connection, just replaced one of the ends and that did the job

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

There is a knack to doing up compression nuts. Usually do the nut hand tight then a 1/4 turn with a spanner

PTFE is used by some plumbers an extra, but isn't needed. If the olive has been overtightened, the pipe could also be deformed so you may have to replace a section of pipe as well.

Also there are brass and copper olives available, copper is obviously more malleable than brass

If you use jointing compound make sure it suitable i/.e there is potable and non potable types.

9. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Thanks for all the replies, I think I'll be buying an olive puller and some Fernox Water Hawk jointing compund (suitable for Potable use) and redoing the fittings. Hopefully the pipe hasn't deformed. I did try grabbing one of the olives with water pump grips but it didn't shift. I believe the olives are brass?

http://www.screwfix.com/p/monument-tools-olive-puller-15mm-22mm/88681

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-water-hawk-400g/21548

As Welshdragon1 said:

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Up to you, but if I want to remove and olive that won't shift with water pump pliers, in some situations you can't get the puller in position, so limited in use.

You can use a hacksaw and make a shallow cut on the olive, making sure that that you don't touch the pipe. When half way through with the saw use a flat bladed screwdriver and open up the olive, it will just snap - job done.

11. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

The above linked Monument olive puller uses the existing compression nut to remove the olive. Here is a video showing how it is used:

There are lots of good reviews on the Screwfix page for it.

12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Just my opinion but I find an olive cutter better than the pullers as it will fit in all places,if it doint fit you aint getting a spanner in there either.

13. Welshdragon1

I thin Stan won't like us talking about Olive :p:D:D:D

14. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Yeah I was considering getting that instead however, it only does one size 15mm or 22mm and seems to be costlier!

15. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Just gonna add my thoughts here;

I've also wrapped the olive with tape when reusing the fitting and olive as they don't always re seal

However, in my opinion (just a diy'er so take with a pinch of salt) if you also have to wrap the threads to make water tight, then your asking for trouble in the future

It the olive that makes the fittings watertight , the thread and nuts are just there to keep the fitting in place and compress the olives

If water is getting past the olive, a temporary repair will be to wrap the threads but it may not last

Either replace olive or as above, if over tightened previously and pipe is crushed, cut out short section and replace

Good luck

16. I have wrapped olives before either when reusing old fittings (water troughs on farms) or on compression fittings in inaccessible places just for peace of mind and never had any problems thus far, never used an olive puller always either knocked it off with an adjustable or grips or used a hacksaw and a flat head as Jitender said but if the pipe is deformed it needs cutting back and replacing really

17. Albertross boy

Albertross boy New Member

If you've over tightened compression fitting you'll have to replace that bit of pipe
    When using compression fittings nip up the nut so olive pinches pipe
    Undo and wrap PTFE around olive only keep it nice and flat twice round
    Wrap it the way you do the nut up
    Thighten nut don't go mad quarter to a third turn your not wringing its neck