Leaking flexi connectors

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Kungfauxn00b, Sep 7, 2017.

1. Kungfauxn00b

Kungfauxn00b New Member

Hi all, first post in the forum. Looking for some advice on some leaking flexi tails from a mixer tap. The tap is only a few months old and was fitted by a plumber but it's leaking already.

Here's some photos of the setup: https://imgur.com/a/cnBwV

The second photo highlights where it's leaking. It's where the flexi tail joins to the isolator. Unscrewed the tail and you can see that the washer is quote worn (pic 4). However, I'm not sure that's the issue. I think the issue is that water is getting past the washer and it's only the plastic bit (pic 3 - don't know what it's called) against the metal bit.

So, any ideas how to fix? Will a new washer do the trick? If so, it's not like any washer I've ever seen. Usually, they're flat - this one is rounded. Or do I need a new tap/flexi tail?

Please be gentle, I'm not a plumber and I know just enough to be dangerous!

2. Doall likes this.
  3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

This point is discussed frequently on this forum where flexis are connected directly to iso valves

If the flexis are over tightened, the tapered edge of the iso valve cuts / damages the washer and leads to leaks
    Some peeps say 'Nahhh never had a problem fitting flexis to iso valves, that's what their designed for'

Whilst others, (Deleted member 11267) recommends fitted tap tail adaptors between the two.

Used the adaptors myself several times, simple solution and the flat edge to the threaded section makes a good seal against the washer. No need to tighten up to the max, the washer will seal without 'wringing its neck'

Wayners likes this.
  4. Hi Kungfaux.

It's ok - we are not scary on here...

Covered nicely above.

Is the basic cause is that these chrome fittings are normal straight isolating valves, so came with nuts and olives on both ends? The plumber removed one nut (and olive) and screwed the flexi connector on to it?

If you look at the open end of the isolating valve, Kung, where the flexi screwed on, you'll see that the round end edge of the fitting is pretty thin (this allows the olive to sit in it nicely) but this means that'll it'll cut through most washers if overtightened. And overtightening is what happens if there's a drip. It literally becomes a viscous circle. (See what I did there?)

Deleted member 11267's solution is the best, but you'll also need new nuts and olives for that valve end to replace the ones the plumber took off. The brass 'tap connectors' slip in to the fittings (ideally with a smear of jointing compound) and the nut is tightened. The new end of the tap connector will be seen to be much flatter, and won't cut in to the flexi.

Oh, and you'll now almost certainly also need new washers for the flexis... (Tho' you might 'get away' with it.)

Bottom line - this should be a FOC fix by the original plumber if you wish to call him back.

5. Kungfauxn00b

Kungfauxn00b New Member

Great stuff, thank you all. Very good, simple advice :)

6. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

You can get iso valves with a flat face one end for the flexi.

7. just pumps

That rounded washer looks like a dollop of silicone ?

8. Kungfauxn00b

Kungfauxn00b New Member

It's definitely a washer. Just been squashed!

9. Tim M

Tim M New Member

AF8DD0F5-C836-4D79-8B8F-807E30B92BBD.jpeg B906912E-D8CE-424F-AF3C-4536CA74B69A.jpeg Try these, found them today, just an insert that stops the rubber washer being cut

kiaora likes this.
  10. just pumps

Do you have a link where you found them?
    You can buy a isolation valve with a flat face to take a flat washer of course.

11. Tim M

Tim M New Member

Got them from my local merchants, he said they were new out on the market, so assume plumbers supplies will be getting them in