ledged & Braced door

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by mart34, Aug 22, 2017.

1. mart34

mart34 New Member

Hi all

My elderly neighbour has had a new carpet fit in her bedroom

Now the door will not close without dragging due to new carpet being thicker

She has asked me if i can trim the door

it is too little to saw so planning is my next option, but I am worried because it is a farmhouse style planked door (image attached). I know to plane from each edge to the centre but I think it will chip out on each plank as I plane.

Any ideas?

Mart

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Circular saw with a fine blade, can take a slither off easily, using a straight edge clamped to door.
    If you plane it, a wood block each end held in place with sash cramp or G cramps will stop it splintering.

btiw2 likes this.
  3. btiw2

btiw2 Screwfix Select

I've done this a few times using a course grit sanding disc on an angle grinder.
    Draw a line and sand down to that. It works for me.

KIAB's solution is definitely more "craftsman" than mine though.

I tend to think that if the answer isn't "angle grinder" or "chainsaw" then it was too complicated a question.

Jord86 likes this.
  4. Doall

Doall Active Member

Circular saw with a guide will be the easiest option

5. Isitreally

Isitreally Super Member

What's wrong with a nice sharp hand saw, should be able to trim 5/6mm off with one.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Bevel all the edges and sides all round first, slightly more than you will cut. Will help stop splintering, and you'll want to sand/bevel after sawing anyway.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Sometimes with a door that is hinged like that, you may be able to ease it up a little by loosening the screws, packing up the bottom of the door and then refixing the screws.

8. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

end grain oak will be a pig to plane. I'd go with the fine blade circular saw and a good straight edge as a guide. If you know anyone with a track saw even better.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

And could do with a third hinge.