Light fitting help!!!

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Ed_Toon, Apr 27, 2024.

1. Ed_Toon

Ed_Toon New Member

Hi,

Please have a look at the two photos attached.

I have 4 live, 2 neutral and 3 earth looking to go into this rather small/simple light fitting.

Where do I start? Son’s birthday tomorrow and was hoping to have this light fitting up in time for then…

All advice (step by step?) gratefully received. Power in whole house is presently off.

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

The 3 browns join together in a piece of 15A connector strip or a wago.
    The blue with brown sleeving goes to live of fitting
    The 2 blues go to neutral of fitting.
    The earths go to earth or made safe.

Ind spark and WillyEckerslike like this.
  3. Ed_Toon

Ed_Toon New Member

Thank you so much.

In terms of the Wago - should I use (224-413) per the attached photo?

Attached Files:

4. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

5. Wellwisher

Wellwisher Well-Known Member

So where is the photo you took before you removed the old fitting. That would explain all.

6. Refuse to Bend

Refuse to Bend Active Member

You need an additional enclosure there is no possibility you can connect all of those conductors in a compliant manner to that enclosure. I suspect your new fitting is double insulated hence all those conductors must be correctly contained.

7. Refuse to Bend

Bad advice did you not view the pics.

8. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

There will be a cup that fits over the bracket, large enough for the connections without the need for a junction box.

Ind spark and Bazza-spark like this.
  9. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Do not think you did. There will be a large cup over the mounting bracket with room for connections.

Bazza-spark likes this.
  10. Refuse to Bend

It shows the connector how do you expext to contain the conductors within it. I guarantee that is a Class II fitting so all conductors must be enclosed and not floating about within the fitting.

terrymac likes this.
  11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Looking at that connector it has a mounting ring attached to secure it to some part of the fitting.

However is is also very cheap plastic tat that leaves far too much exposed terminal and in my opinion is only fit for the scrap man.

Ind spark likes this.
  12. Refuse to Bend

I couldn't agree more cheap tat. I don't do domestic work but these fittings are poorly designed and assume a single wire for connection and the installer rarely understands the importance of correct connection.