Light switch question

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by GordonK, Aug 18, 2017.

1. GordonK

GordonK Member

https://flic.kr/p/WBJVwB

This is the back of a 3 gang switch.

As you look at it the switch to the left is a 2 way switch with another switch elsewhere.

The other 2 switched are 1 path on 2 different circuits.

I need to combine those 2 into 1 switch ...

The bit i am unsure about is why the blue on the right hand switch had a black tape on it.. with it being 1 way should it not just be blue snd brown for each sep circuit and i simply plug both live and both neutral into their respective terminals.

Don't get the black on blue...

Whst am i missing?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

''The other 2 switched are 1 path on 2 different circuits''

When you say two different circuits, are you saying that one circuit is on one mcb, and the other is on another mcb?

Clarification is essential

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

I can't open the image / picture. however light switches do not have neutrals connected to them. unless you are referring to something other than a normal light switch ,for instance a fused connection unit with switch ??

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

GordonK likes this.
  5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Some people use 20 amp dp switches as light switches (with or without neon) in some situations - these normally reside on loop in box

GordonK likes this.
  6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

thanks Andy , that was very handy !!! . Gordon all of the conductors are line or switch line , denoted by the short bits of brown sleeving on the insulation. but like JP ,I don't understand what you mean or are trying to achieve.

GordonK likes this.
  7. GordonK

GordonK Member

sorry guys if not clear.

in total there are 3 circuits. The one on the left is part of a 2 switch circuit.

the other 2 switches (centre and right) control 2 distinct lighting circuits. They are for 2 groups of recessed lights ( both 3 light in ceiling) and i always want all 6 on so i end up flicking both switches every time.

I have to replace the light switch (decorating) and want to just replace the 3 gang switch with a 2 gang switch. SO I can put the left hand switch on the left of the new circuit as it is here and I would have thought I then simply 'double up' going into the other side ... thus removing one of the switches on the plate..

Does that make sense?

8. GordonK

GordonK Member

1 MCB

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

If I understand correctly, it seems that switch 2 and 3 operate lights separately, and

Edit, just read your reply.

Yes, just double up.

As said, the brown is live in, the blue(with brown sleeve) is live out, switched. Both blues have brown sleeve.

GordonK likes this.
  10. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thanks Gordon

11. GordonK

GordonK Member

ahh got you .... should have worked that out .. duhh so obvious now....

thank you

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yes, you can just double up the two browns and two blues, but they MUST be on the same MCB.

GordonK likes this.
  13. GordonK

GordonK Member

They are indeed ..thank you