lighting circuit with no earth

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by kelvin mottram, Jul 3, 2015.

1. kelvin mottram

kelvin mottram New Member

I am in the process of buying a bungalow built in the 60s without any earthing to the lighting circuit. I intend to add an earth ( I have some electrical experience ) do I need to take the earth all the way back to the consumer box or am i able to "tap" into any existing earth, ie: ring main for instance?
    Also what size earth cable would i need to run? Your advice is much appreciated, Kelvin

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You would be best rewiring. It's a bungalow, so not a big job. The walls drops are likely in conduit (certainly most that age are). It's a days work for a sparky, perhaps a weekends work for a DIYer.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

As lectrician says deffo partial rewire. You need a 4 mm earth , by the time you've faffed about with that!!

4. kelvin mottram

kelvin mottram New Member

Thanks for the advice, I'm sure your both right and I guess I'll end up doing just that but i'm at that time in my life ( just in my 60s ) when a lot of tasks are now above me physically ( I had polio as a child and less able than most ) and internal electrical work is one of the few things i can still do within reason. Its just a nice feeling to know you have done something yourself, satisfying I guess. Her indoors no longer likes me on steps let alone a ladder, so she'll be pleased with your responses.
    Out of interest why is it 4mm when new wiring would presumably be 1.0 or 1.5mm,
    regards
    K

5. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea I would like to know too.

6. nigel willson

Unprotected conductor, wouldn't think ur going to run it in conduit! 2.5mm if protected 4mm if not

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Why so? The only time I can think this would apply is for bonding where the bonding cable is underground. Got a reg some where?

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

According to wiring regs. the minimum size for an un-protected cpc is 4.00mm. It does seem daft I know especially on a lighting circuit fused at 5 amps and where the cable is under the floor or above a ceiling where there's nil chance of it becoming damaged. I must admit I've used 1.5 mm on a few occasions!

9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Sen mate, that don't make sense. If the min size is 4mm unprotected then how come we have twin and skin with cpc much smaller than that? Surface mounted twin is no less liable to damage than a single 4mm cpc...

10. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It does make sense. It is to protect the conductor as it is not mechanically protected.

Incidentally the cpc in twin and skin is mechanically protected (the sheath is mechanical protection).

11. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

So a sheathed single cpc could be less than 4mm?

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Maybe if it was insulated AND sheathed, although there's nothing to say that in the regs. as far as I know.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Sorry guys I'm not convinced. Check out this

https://www.eca.co.uk/filelibrary/download/?FileID=1284

Only thing it say's about cpc size is if it's buried. Other than that an adiabic is fine.

Unless someone can come up with some regs and a bit of back ground I'm not buying it.

14. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

15. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Col - ssssshh otherwise there will be a new edition of the regs out. more books, courses, dvd's ;)

16. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

OK, this is the red book (The only PDF I have, paper copies at work).

543 PROTECTIVE CONDUCTORS
    543.1 Cross-sectional areas
    543.1.1 The cross-sectional area of every protective conductor, other than a protective bonding conductor, shall
    be:
    (i) calculated in accordance with Regulation 543.1.3, or
    (ii) selected in accordance with Regulation 543.1.4.

Calculation in accordance with Regulation 543.1.3 is necessary if the choice of cross-sectional area of line conductors
    has been determined by considerations of short-circuit current and if the earth fault current is expected to be less
    than the short-circuit current.

If the protective conductor:
    (iii) is not an integral part of a cable, or
    (iv) is not formed by conduit, ducting or trunking, or
    (v) is not contained in an enclosure formed by a wiring system,

the cross-sectional area shall be not less than 2.5mm² copper equivalent if protection against mechanical damage is provided, and 4mm² copper equivalent if mechanical protection is not provided (see also Regulation 543.3.1).
    For a protective conductor buried in the ground Regulation 542.3.1 for earthing conductors also applies. The
    cross-sectional area of a protective bonding conductor shall comply with Section 544.

17. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Strange none of this is mentioned in the select guide seeing as it's pretty integral.

18. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It's really nothing new. It has been in the regs of several jurisdictions for as long as I can remember.

nigel willson likes this.
  19. nigel willson

This is where i say I knew I was rite, been the case for years far as I can remember. I know it's overkill but we don't rite the regs.

20. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Well done Lec, I knew it was there somewhere!