Limestone Slab?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Penpot, Sep 18, 2015.

1. Penpot

Penpot New Member

Hi guys,

So we've been doing some house rennovations and have been digging around our house. Must have been built in the early 1900's if not earlier, located North Manchester.

We came across this slab and don't really know if it's worth anything. It's about 1mx1mx10cm and extremely heavy. It took 3 guys to even tilt the thing to move it anywhere.

It's got a hole in the centre and we believe it was once used to move things into the cellar as it was next to a hole in the wall which is quite low to the ground.

Any advice or a point in the right direction would be appreciated, thanks!

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Coal hole?

Nice to keep & have has a cascading waterfall feature for a pond.

3. Penpot

Penpot New Member

Yea, most likely a coal hole.

A few problems, it's extremely heavy... and no pond!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Flowers then.

5. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Is the underside a bit charred or black? It looks like an old water boiler that was used for boiling water for the laundry or bathing. There would be a small enclosure with a stone with a hole on top, a pan was put on top with water on it or as in this picture inset

[​IMG]

6. Great info :)

Penpot, that's a lovely piece of stone. I'd keep that somewhere in or out of the house if I could - make it a feature in the kitchen - or anywhere for that matter.

It's looovely :)

KIAB likes this.
  7. Penpot

Penpot New Member

Hi, don't think it was used for boiling water. It was found outside the house next to a hole in the wall which is close to the ground (much lower than the windows) so most likely used as a coal hole.

I agree, it is quite nice but it is extremely heavy, and almost near impossible to move with 3 men. Parents want to see if they can sell it but I'm trying to find a home for it... guess that's why I'm the hoarder in the family.

8. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Looks too small and too fancy for a coal hole and can't see any fixings for a door. The water boiler were normally located in an outhouse so it could be from there? Be interesting to find out.

How about contacting the local museum may be they can shed some light on it.

9. A couple of hinges and it'd be a cracking toilet seat.

Hmm, maybe not - it would be a bit chilly in winter.

Other than that, perfect.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Having worked for a coalman, I've seen plenty of holes that size when delivering coal on town & country houses, most had a metal or stone plug/cover.:)
    We use to have metal cone you stick in the hole on some of them to help you direct the coal.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Given me an idea for my house to cut down the morning queues :)
    May be, but why go to the effort of making a hole like that in a big stone to deliver coal?