Load bearing or not... Suggestions!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by OllieT, Jun 20, 2016.

?

Is the wall between the kitchen and dinning room load bearing?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

100.0%
  3. Hit and hope

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. OllieT

OllieT New Member

Evening everyone. I am about to take ownership of our new house (project!) and want to knock down a wall. In fact I have been planning on taking it down and only in the last few hours have questioned my previously fool proof test of assuming that stud walls are not load bearing. A bit of research proves this is not the case. However my previous house was a Victorian villa and therefore one could guarantee that any stud walls were 'extras'.

Please see the pictures below. I will get a better idea when I try and identify the direction on the joists on Thursday but your comments on anything extra I should look for would be greatly appreciated. The joists in the garage runs side to side (left to right). Non of the internal walls I can tell are solid.

The wall I wish to remove is the partition between the kitchen and dinning room. The house was built in 2000 by the now dissolved Swallow Homes.

Many thanks for your time.

I appreciate if I can't get a good clear indication of joist direction I will contact a builder or local structural engineer. But your comments are welcomed.

Attached Files:

2. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

I'd say not. The wall perpendicular to the one you described looks like is providing a support function (wall between kitchen and hall that carries binto living room and dining room.

3. OllieT

OllieT New Member

That makes sense. I will check the direction of the joists on Thursday in the kitchen and as long as they run front to back that would support your theory. My only question is that the perpendicular wall you mention doesn't flow into the down stairs bathroom. I am sure that this was only made different to increase the study size to make it 'useable' and then also make the bathroom 'useable' by increasing its width to the only detriment of the utility room. :confused:

4. OllieT

OllieT New Member

Hi,
    I have indicated the direction of the joists on the attached picture and they are 400mm apart.

So I managed to get back into the property today and drilled a few test holes in the rooms indicated in the picture. Looks like my guess was right and the joists run front to back in the kitchen and hallway but left to right in the dinning room and sitting room. I still want to take the wall out but it seems to indicate towards a load bearing stud wall. Or would you suggest there may be a steel in place running front to back to support the joists in the sitting room and dinning room?

I am waiting for a few builders to get back to me regarding an assessment.

As I said the house was built in 2000 and this was a 4 bed house replicated 20 times within a 80 house development.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Attached Files:

5. OllieT

OllieT New Member

All the walls on the ground floor are stud.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You may be able to get the plans from the council planning department as it's a relatively new build.

the wall could be removed, but a lintel/steel would need to go in according to SE.

It looks as though one end could rest on the external wall meeting the kit/conser. The other end would require a pier to be built so the beam can rest on.

7. OllieT

OllieT New Member

Thanks Jitender for the advice. I will call the council planning tomorrow and seek some guidance. Are load bearing stud walls relatively common in the uk? The wall i wish to remove is only 2.6m.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

You would also need to access loft to see where roof load is, wall could be supporting part of roof on wall plate.

Hard to tell from pic style and shape of rear roof.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Until you can find a steel I would assume the wall is load bearing, it probably isn't but you must assume it is.

10. OllieT

OllieT New Member

What do you mean roof load? The roof is a pitch front to back and there are quite a few cross members within the roof space. the joist run front to back within the roof. The only exception is the gable you can see in the picture.

Picture is from bing maps and the house is centred.

Attached Files:

11. OllieT

OllieT New Member

Thanks Chippie. My thoughts completely. I have asked for a few builders to visit and quote for it depending on if its load bearing or not. I don't get the keys for another week and only then will I be able to take the plasterboard off to expose the stud work and fingers crossed discover a steel running full length!

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Roof side looks ok, though the gable ran front to back.

You could remove a floorboard in the bedroom to see what the joist are hanging off.

There may not be any steels as alot of build now use engineered wood.

13. OllieT

OllieT New Member

It is chipboard floor but I agree I think this maybe the quickest and easiest option to check the wall I want to remove. Will let you know when I have worked it out and spoken to the planners. Thanks!

14. OllieT

OllieT New Member

Hi guys. Contacted the local council and the plans were submitted to the NHBC for approval not the council. I contacted them for advice and they have been ready helpful over the phone and email. I asked them for information regarding the wall I wish to remove and there reply was:

'The plans we hold indicate the wall in question was to be supported by a foundation and it would therefore be considered that the wall is load-bearing.'

What are my options now? I guess get a builder in to look at taking it out? If I wanted to just create an door way opening would I be ok to see how many supports I need to remove and brace either side of the opening with additional load bearing supports? This would also include a wooden lintel to brace the unsupported section.

Attached Files:

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would look at getting some quotes from an SE, to advise on what to reinstate with once the wall is removed. Once the calcs have been done, its a case of getting a builder(s) in to quote to carry out the works.

Also would recommend to go through BC with the council - you will be given a completion statement once the work has been carried out, they would want to see the work before it is plastered, may be up to 2 visits for the fee (about £120)

16. zooloo

zooloo New Member

I haven't read the whole post, But I can guarantee that that wall will be load bearing blockwall supporting the joists. I have a very similar house design, built in 2001 see the attached drawings below. you will need a structural engineer to calculate the steel required if removing this wall.

Attached Files:

17. zooloo

zooloo New Member

and how did you come to that conclusion? amateur.........

18. OllieT

OllieT New Member

Zooloo,

'All the walls are stud' Thats exactly what we have discovered with 2 builders. All internal walls (bar wall between garage and house!) are stud and have been confirmed by NHBC.

Thanks for your input.

Lol 'Amateur......' thats exactly what I am which is why I asked the question and proceed with the correct advice from he professionals.

19. OllieT

OllieT New Member

Your house is not the same and was built 3 years apart by different builders to different regs. Never assume! even in my line of work that is true!

20. zooloo

zooloo New Member

fair play OllieT, Good Luck with the works.