Locating and resolving blockage

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Whitling2k, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Hello all!

sorry for long thread - I've done quite a bit of digging and work already and wanted to avoid suggestions that I've already tried :)

Wonder if anyone has any tips on locating and clearing a blockage with minimum disruption.

It's a sealed heating system with about 20 rads. They all work really well - balancing can be a bit tricky but not impossible... Apart from one radiator that will not heat up!

I've tried a few things - and have come to the conclusion that I have a blockage of some sort in my supply pipe to our largest and most important radiator.

So far - I have:
    1. turned nearly all other radiators off (using lockshields) and forced majority of flow through the one rad
    2. removed/flushed the rad - you wouldn't want to eat your dinner off the inside, but but water can flow through quickly - so no flow problems from the rad.
    3. I have replaced the lockshield and TRV

I also tried pressurising the system up to 3.5 bar and testing the flow/return pipes whilst the pipes were off - the return pipe gushed like a 3.5 bar mofo but the feed pipe barely trickled... hence my conclusion!

Accessing the pipe runs is quite difficult - however, by deduction, this part of the heating is most likely a 15mm straight T off my 22mm main supply pipes.

The T's are under laminate flooring, under a bath and boxed in plumbing... which are nailed in place with 6" ring-shank nails (by the a**e living there before us who decided at no point will anyone need to maintain anything)

The 15mm pipe work runs under said laminate, under a non-load bearing stud-wall, and then for a 9m run [under new fitted carpet :( ] - and 22mm T&G chipboard - nailed with 5" ring-shank nails.

This is on the 1st floor - so all said pipework is in joists between bedroom/bathroom floor and plasterboard ceiling.

The pipes cut across the joists so I would have to cut an entire 9m+ section of flooring up if I needed to access the whole pipe - however, I suspect there is little point in exposing all the pipework.

I guess I could just cut a square of plasterboard out - but other than knowing the blockage is somewhere between the T and the valve - how can I get a better idea of where to cut?

Finally, I don't want to powerflush or use any really strong chemicals - there is not enough water getting through the blockage for it to really bite and the side affects of the harsh chemical cleanser on the older part of the system would probably leave me in an even worse situation!!

Any tips/advice/suggestions?

I'm quite a competent DIYer - drained it, removed and flushed rads, installed new rads, extended the system multiple times - so happy to try most things - but this one has just beat me! (FWIW - This rad has never worked, but I had assumed it would be a sticking TRV because the flow pipe always got hot but the return didn't) - it's not my DIY that's broken it!

Ta

Whitling2k

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Im afraid you have two choices neither one you like from your post above, the easiest is to have the system power flushed Yes there are chemicals involved but they have a similar Ph to coke. Its the flow of the power flush unit that does the donkey work. these units work even better when combined with a magnetic unit that combines into the units pipework preventing scale going back into the system. There is of course no guarantee that this will clear you problem so you would be left with the lifting floorboard issue. One way to find the exact spot where all heat stops is to use thermal camera technology but the companies who do this will charge from £400 upwards. Sorry can't think of any better way to sort your issue.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'd connect the rad valve that's only dribbling to a mains water tap with some pushfit pipe and give it full pressure, Like daves suggestion it might not work, but it won't cost owt,;)

4. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Thanks - I think my next step is to blast water through the wrong way (and out at the next rad!)
    if that doesnt work, try find the T, cut that out, see if I can manually clear the blockage - failing that, lift floors in bedroom and replace the entire 9m or so run.

Tricky thing is that the water does tricke through - so the hot water does slowly make it's way to the rad.

I'm doubtfull that the backwards flush will do anything but will deffo try it because like you say - it's free!! I'm just feeling a bit defeated with this one now - I had hoped that flusing the radiator would have fixed it!

It will be interesting to see what I find if I take the T off.

I'm also acutely aware that I may yet find a botched/ceased/closed(!) isolation valve or some kinked/crushed pipe!

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you could try my secret weapon, its worked a couple of times for me,

6. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Cheers Tom! nice trick... but I'm not sure that would work for me as I'm getting a slight flow still, so I doubt I'll get any build up of pressure behind the blockage :-(

7. Whitling, you say that rad had some crud in it, so no doubt the rest of your system has too.
    I can't see any proper solution than to shift that stuff out. You have a 'sealed' system - is it a combi boiler? Is it a condensing type? If so, expect expensive trouble when that crud blocks your PtoP heat exchanger.

Yes, sometimes adding cleaning chemicals will highlight a leak, but that's no reason not to use them; that leak is going to show itself one day anyways... What usually happens is that a radiator - which is made from steel, so rusts - is partially corroded through from the inside. The oxide then kinda blocks and covers that thin rad wall and keeps it from leaking! Until you add cleaners...

But, if that rad is gonna go now, then it will be going in the future anyways. And there's a very good chance it just won't go at all if you sort your system now. And usually the hidden pipes will be ok as they don't rust. Ok, perhaps there's a poor joint somewhere that was prevented from leaking by the crud, but - hey - that's unlikely.

It was promising that you shoved your pressure up to 3.5 bar ( :eek: ) and nothing leaked, so I reckon you'll be ok.

Soooo, what I would suggest is; 1) fit a filter on the return. I don;t know which is best, but I understand the latest ones work by both magnetic and 'swirling' out sediment (like a Dyson). It'll cost over £100 for a good one, is easy to fit, and IS WORTH IT. As you start to slowly shift that crud, you want it collected! (2) Shove a double-dose of Sentinel X800 cleaner or similar. Fire up, and run your CH system when it's cold enough to justify (getting chilly in the mornings...) and keep checking the filter (so get one that's easy to check and clean!)

Keep the valves to the 'blocked' rad fully open and the others nicely shut but still open - say lockshields at a quarter-turn open and other ends fully open.

Sit back and let it do its job. No rush - give it weeks.

I did this and it fixed my blocked heat exchanger, and also removed a disgusting amount of sludge from my old system. I had it running for a couple of months with no adverse issues (apparently some older cleaners were reputed to cause problems with prolonged use).

It needs sorting, man, so sort it. You need a darned good cleaning - there is no other option :p.

Whitling2k likes this.
  8. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Seems sensible.. I'd be quite tempted by Sentinel's offering - but there seems to be little review/chatter on the main SF website... any suggestions on one that's easy to clean?

Why x800? Their website seems to suggest that x400 for thorough, slow cleaning and x800 for rapid or powerflush

I've got 20+ rads on my system so 4 bottles - £100s worth :eek:

:rolleyes:

9. You wanna shift a blockage or not... :)

I suggested X800 'cos it's powerful and sorted my boiler for me - and saved me from a multi-£100 bill. Oh, and by choosing wisely, you can pick them up for a lot less on t'Bay - I think I paid less than £20 for 2 bottles :p

I fitted a Magnaclean, but only because I got one for a good price on ebay too... Just read reviews on all the known makes - Magna, Fernox and Sentinel (and possibly others.) They are being improved all the time.

The above is what I would do in your situation - I'm not saying 'do it'.

But I'd certainly do it before chopping into assorted T-pieces and junctions in the hope that it's where the blockage is.

And... if you have a blockage that bad, then you have a lot more crud in your system than you think. That NEEDS to be shifted.

A power-flush will set you back many £100's.

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

if its as bad as this flushing won't move it,

11. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Not just a pretty face are you Tom.;)

12. I know what you mean, Tom, but if the cove has a wee flow going through the blockage, them chemicals will slowly remove the layers of it as it passes through - bit by bit, layer by layer, over a few weeks.

I had a pretty thoroughly blocked PtoP exchanger, and you know how narrow the waterways in these are. The X800 made a noticeable difference in minutes. What I did was to fill the Magnaclean with neat X800, and then run the CH for just a few seconds in order to get that 'neat' dose up into the boiler - then I turned the hot tap on and of repeatedly. I added a further dose, and repeated. The filter took a half-bottle each time. After doing this with the 2 bottles, I was getting hot water again. It really was that effective. Ok, I know that the amount of sludge it takes to block an exchanger is small, but when you think that the actual amount of treated water flushing it through is also tiny - 'cos it's the same wee bit that gets recycled around within the boiler - it was very impressive.

After running it all for a couple of months (I didn't really mean to leave it that long, but couldn't be assed flushing out...), I had emptied the filter a few times and removed a nice dollop of sludge each time. The boiler was working perfectly, and I believe it was even quieter than it had been for some time.

Finally hosed through the whole system for a good half hour until the water coming out was only lightly brown when filling a bucket (on removing the filter body, you can connect a flush and drain hose using washing-machine type connectors on to the fitting's ends - that made life a lot easier).

Refilled with X100 inhibitor, and I still check and clean the filter every few months (I should do it again soon.)

That was a year ago - absolutely no problems since.

Anyways, it's the cove's call :).

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

With a plate heat exchanger DA the easiest way to unblock them is remove it and soak it in a bucket of Fernox DS3 for about an hour, works 99.9% of the time.

14. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Totes get that - and if I wanted definitive advice I'd get a pro' in - I'm looking for ideas and this is one I'd not considered.

I still know at the end of the day I might have to chop pipes/floor/ceilings out - I just need to decide if the cost of the cleaner + filter + (low) risk of highlighting further leaks for something that *may* work is better than just going in head-first.

Like you say, chances are that I'll have a system full of crud already (evidence from other projects suggest severe build-ups!) so the (let's say) £200 isn't going to be totally abortive.

We've just had our first baby too so really don't want to go through the major disruption of lifting floors if at all possible!

I don't mind paying for a plumber to 'come make that radiator work' but they will only need to go through the same stages of elimination I'm going through (on-pay) and if they do decide to replace the pipe/joints, the majority of their rates are going to be non-plumbing tasks - cutting floors, ceilings etc and in my experience - the best plumbers aren't the best joiners etc so

Thx for advice - Muchos appreciatos!!

15. Funnily enough, when the first exchanger blocked and I got a cove in to replace it, I did experiments with the removed one chust for interest. Looking into the bores, you could see the black coating of the oxides. I happened to have some water-based rust remover which you dilute a goodly amount before use and made up a solution. I filled the exchanger to the brim and next day it was shiny and clean inside when I hosed it through - bits of black were washed out.

Mind you, I'd rather not go to the hassle of removing the exchanger if possible. I'm pretty confident that the current exchanger is pretty darned clean having had all that cleaner go through it for months...

16. Whitling, this is the way I look at it; Your system is full of sludge. Not one pipe, not one Tee, not one bend - your whole bludy system. You cannot have so much carp that a pipe is blocked without there being carp everywhere else too.

Every single rad will have a pile of **** sitting in its bottom-middle. Every length of pipe will have some coating. All the lowest points of your system will likely have more sizeable deposits and some parts - as you know - are effectively blocked.

That's a shed-load of carp.

So, chopping out a fitting ain't going to sort that. I'd suggest that even a power-flush will struggle to do it all.

And thinking that "oooh, I daren't risk a flush or chemicals in case it causes leaks" is just sticking your head in the sand. IF your system has parts which are so thin that they may leak with a clean, then they are going to leak anyways pretty darned soon. At least this way you'll be monitoring the system and checking your rads on a daily basis - much better than it decides to burst while you are away on your hols.

And the good news is that's it's very unlikely to be a hidden pipe that 'bursts' - it'll almost certainly be a visible radiator.

And the very good news is that the chances are nothing will leak - that's usually the case. And you have cranked your system up to 3.5bar without issues, so you've effectively done a decent pressure test with no pops (you'd normally have your system at around 1 bar).

AND you DO need a filter, man. You need one at some point - you'd be nuts not to fit one. Whatever 'cleaning/unblocking' you do now, there will be constant additional sludge being loosened over time and swimming around your system. And, let's face it' your system is well dirty.

So, since you should really fit a filter anyway, then fit it now. Along with a double-dose. You might possibly find that this is all you need to do, so you've saved many £100's and lots of hassle too.

I'm not telling you what to do, but you be a complete raving imbecilic loony if you didn't.

You've effectively got nothing to lose and a potential shed-load to gain.

Whitling2k likes this.
  17. Whitling2k

Whitling2k Member

Morning all!

Thought I'd post a quick update... The radiator is working fine, my entire system heats up in half the time, it's near-silent now and actually heats the house!

How did I do this I hear you all ask???

Well - luckily for you I have posted a write-up!

I crafted some copper pipe onto the end of two hose pipes with hose-clips, and then attached these both to different flow pipes, at either end of the suspected blockage, using compression fittings. I closed all other radiator TRVs and lockshields and isolated the boiler.

From the outside, I now could push and pull mains pressure water through the pipework - swapping the other end of the hoses between drain and tap to reverse the flow.

So I started with the suspect heating pipe - starting slowly with an assistant watching for leaks, I first sending pressure down one flow pipe - I got a trickle out the hose - and then it stopped. I then reversed the flow - pushing it down the other flow pipe - again, a trickle followed by nothing. I did this a few times each time a bit more water came through - until eventually, a gurgle, a splurt and OMG... about 3 minutes worth of black crud flowed out like nothing I've ever seen - it was settling to about 1" deep on the grass.

I reversed the flow another couple of times until the water came and went with no gurgles and no gunge.

After that I moved one end of the hosepipe onto a return pipe, so one on flow and one on return, and opened both valves on one radiator. I was pushing water down the return pipe and letting it return up the flow pipe for about 10 minutes - 'till the juices flowed clear'

I then systematically went around each radiator - opening both valves, going back and closing the previous radiator - giving each one and all the pipework a really good flush.

after that - I did some work replacing a broken radiator (thoroughly flushed through before being online) and then fitted my SpiroMaster MB3 on my return pipe just before the boiler, and a full-bore isolating valve to aid future maintenance.

It was at this point I realised I'd been scammed on Ebay - 5 bottles of x800 - all of them had been syringed out and filled with some cr@ppy orange stuff that had gone lumpy - some @$$wipe had sold me something what wasn't x800! luckily - I was using my new radiator as my dosing point, so flushed all the rogue chemical out, placed my lonely from-another-shelved-job bottle of x100 in and fired up the boiler..

A few weeping compression joints and a blocked automatic air-vent was all that stood between me and a warm heaven! All was good.

The heating warms up so quickly and quietly that I'm going to forget about the x800 for a while - now I know I can easily flush my full system in a matter of hours and I have my filter in place - if things block-up again I'll flush and then use the x800.

My final task was to dose the final bottle of x100 (20 radiators - so need 2 bottles!). because I had the entire system now filled, and wasn't going to empty it any time soon, my usual trick of a funnel into a bleed-port wasn't going to cut the mustard..

Queue crazy invention time! One water filter with 1.2l reservoir, 5 flexible tap hoses - 3 isolating, a compression T- joint, 3 short lengths of 15mm copper pipe, an in-line compression joint and a 9" length of copper later... my patented (£30 worth of equipment's) DIY chemical doser!! It works with the entire system under pressure, doses 1 litre at a time and does so in a matter of minutes. (see pictures!)

All good - I felt at the limits of my DIY skills at the start of this one, but once I got my head engaged and into the routine was quite straight forwards and rewarding.

Just needed to be systematic and keep concentrating to not accidentally leave bleed valves open or start the boiler when still isolated :rolleyes:etc!

DIY Doser 2.JPG DIY Doser 3.JPG DIY Doser internals.JPG DIY Doser.JPG MB3.jpg

18. Blimey! :D

You can't tell, but I'm lying prostrate on the floor in front of my PC, arms extended in worship :)