Looking For Climbing Rose?

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Jitender, Jun 30, 2017.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looking to plant a climbing rose at front of house.

Don't want something to vigorous, and needs to be compact About 50cmm width by upto 4 m spread. Fragrant would be good. Any ideas :)

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Jun 30, 2017
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

White.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is the effect I'm after.

Rose.jpg

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Iceberg Climbing Rose.

upload_2017-6-30_20-49-6.jpeg

[​IMG]

Jitender likes this.
  7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will be ordering in Autumn as they delivery it in November.

In gardening mode at the minute:D

10. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

David Austen roses are very nice....but ;)
    I had to look after several a few years back and they were very 'needy'. Prone to blackspot, rust and mildew. The property owner loved those roses like their kids and they took a heck of a lot of effort and chemicals to keep healthy.
    That may have been down to location and a couple of wet spring/summers but just thought it worth mentioning.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Some roses like climbers,ht's, etc are very susceptible to blackspot,it's caused by a fungus, use to get it terrible at one place I lived, but not at another.
    But, I never got mildew or rust which is anothe fungus borne disease.

12. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Love your artistic skills

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  13. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Yes, and ime the Austen Roses fall into that category of, susceptible. Others in the same location weren't as 'needy'.
    Of course pretty much all roses can be susceptible if they're not pruned right, fed right and watered right but in this garden everything was done as well as could be expected and these Austen Roses still suffered and needed regular treatment. These were standards though, it was a few years ago and the people only had a few varieties...so I'm not saying anything as daft as, all David Austen Roses will get diseased and no other breeder's roses will, just mentioning that it may be worth considering and looking into before spending the money.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

None of my came from Austen Roses, but from other growers, including a local one, but I still got blackspot.

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've ordered the rose, looking forward to plant it in November :)