Looking for replacement Washer Dryer

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Aug 27, 2015.

1. seen it all before

seen it all before Active Member

Somebody stole your thunder... lol.:rolleyes:

2. miss pickle

miss pickle Well-Known Member

Its para though :rolleyes::rolleyes: so I have to suck it up :( I couldn't possibly retaliate with words. He is unbeatable :mad: the only one on here I wouldn't dream of tackling.
    The rest are fair game ;)

seen it all before likes this.
  3. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Hi @miss pickle

Sorry not replied sooner, as I have been busy

Great find, there a good reviews :)

However under the section ask an owner

I notice there are mixed views for it, which doesn't help too much

Well spotted @parahandy :)

This is what I have found so far, what are your thoughts, experiences on any of the closet to mine ;)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_2?fst=as:eek:ff&rh=n:908798031,n:!908799031,n:11712521,n:11712551,p_n_feature_keywords_browse-bin:4905172031\c1225454031&bbn=11712551&ie=UTF8&qid=1440738647&rnid=1225438031

http://www.discountappliancecentre.com/laundry/washer-dryers/freestanding-washer-dryers/

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/freest...x_7-8-9-10-11-12-13-14-15-16-17-criteria.html

Once again cheers Guys & miss pickles :)

4. miss pickle

Hi WD1 :)

I think whatever the machine you are always going to find mixed reviews, same as with anything.
    Your choices seem quite pricey to me but then I guess I've always been a budget type of girl :D
    If money is no object then I suppose they'd go for the quietest, fastest, nicest looking, a hundred and one programmes super duper has a long guarantee and warranty one!
    Personal preference I think.
    Also bought from a store where the after service is good I think is important just in case any problems arise.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  5. Welshdragon1

Hi miss pickles :)

Normally I am also a cheap & cheerful frugal guy & will still have to be if the landlord backs out. (which i suspect them of doing, as it's been a long fight to get to this stage)

TBH, does anyone really need or even use, all the bells & whistles in a washer dryer...??

I think all the main standard programs, with quick 30min wash should suffice, however & that said, I am a male of our species, so what do I know about using domestic appliances...lol

I totally agree about the after sales & that would be a must tbh, so any places that can be recommended would be very gratefully received.

Oh yes, the longer the warranty the better as long as if I don't have to pay extra for it ;);)

6. miss pickle

Exactly :D you could spend a fortune on some super duper thing but all it needs to do is wash the clothes! I only use two cycles on mine.
    I wouldn't be doing a long fight with a landlord over a wm :) life's too short. I'd be down Argos the next day and job done lol. Good delivery service, no quibble guarantee with them they'd just change it, huge store that isn't going bust anytime soon.
    That would be my choice but ...... I'm just the one who does the washing :D I know my place ;) they have discounts galore as well and vouchers off next purchases etc.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2015
  7. Welshdragon1

Hey miss pickles

I am enjoying the fight tbh, as they'll not get away with it, there has been far too many issues with my landlords electricians going as far back as 2011 tbh & they'll end up killing someone one day & its the business registered with the NICEIC, not the individual electricians that are trained for 6 months then let out in the wild......

In on case alone

In a pensioner complex, right in front of a pensioners door there was a light on the canopy, that after the roof rotted & waterlogged the light, all they done was to drill a series of holes in the light to let the water out, after I found out, me & a mate videoed it & got a local rag involved, & they have now re positioned the light & fixed the canopy. Case was ongoing for over 3 years).....

In another case

A family home was riddled with rats, that had eaten into the electrics in the attic above a childs bedroom, (Case was ongoing for over 1 year), I got on the case & it was sorted within two months, they temporary re-homed the family to do the work...

Yet the NICEIC do not seem to be bothered too much......

8. miss pickle

:( Oh lordy that all sounds a right royal mess :eek:

So much for the Electrical Safety Council eh? :rolleyes::rolleyes: A charity that is given government approval to offer competent electricians i see :eek: sounds like they'd have more luck blinfolded and sticking a pin in the yellow pages :D

Definitely sounds like some butt kicking needs doing :oops:

Good luck with your fight then WD1 keep up the good work :D

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  9. Welshdragon1

Hey miss pickles

Exactly, I suppose they'll act, after lives are lost, then it will be far too late :eek::mad::mad:

I love kicking butts, wish I could do it for a living...lol

Thank you, will need all the luck I can get ;)

I had 5 mins spare yesterday & called into my local currys & there were only two viable options available with only a one year warranty

Hotpoint Aquarius WDL 540P 7kg, with a 60min quick wash, Width 595mm £379.99

Reviews & Ask owner goes back a few years for the Hotpoint, thus seems like an old model still on sale, so how long would parts be available for....??

Hoover 8+5kg 1400rpm WDXA 4851-80, various quick washes, Width 600mm (On offer) £379.99

Just measured the gap & it has to be 595mm or narrower, this just narrowed it down to one from Currys.

I am hoping I get sent to a neighboring town this week & have 5mins to check other places......

10. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

If you want the best of the best then it has to be Mielle, short of that any of the German brands and at the very back end of that, Hotpoint, Hoover, Beko etc.

Don't think that you will be able to wash a full load and dry it in anything less than 8hrs run time. Because all of this style of machine has to use condenser type drying, it takes longer. In reality you will find that washing, taking them out to dry overnight then a quick finish in the dryer is the best option.

Also remember that as an example of the Hoover one (they are all the same) 8kg of washing dry is a whole lot more at the end of the wash cycle, so your limit of 5kg drying means you need to take probably 2/3 of it out!

Finally, if you are running it in the evening and noise could be an issue go for a direct drive / Dc drive type motor, they are much quieter

11. Welshdragon1

Hi @CraigMcK

Looks like Hotpoint are ticking all the boxes As i have just seen the Hotpoint WDAL8640P with a 30 min quick wash & is supposed to be quieter that the one I listed earlier & it is A rated where the other is B rated.

Have anyone had any thoughts or experience of the two Hotpoint Washer Dryers & can share your experiences.

Also does anyone know if they come with a longer warranty in other place(s), especially where good to great customer service is recommended....??

12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not sure with washer dryer combinations, as I always think it better to have the 2 individual appliances. though handy if you haven't the room.

I brought a Miele washing machine a few years ago (second hand), it was 7 years old when purchased(but came with 3 years transferable guarantee), though have never needed it. The machine gets used everyday and I have had no problems.

My mum has Hotpoint washing machine (Indesit are part of the same co). And she has had problems ever since, its been repaired about 4-5 time now, we took out the extended guarantee. Fortunately I pushed the insurers to give us back the cost of the item, which was done at the original price. So it has been worthwhile, it was never collected so my mum is using it until it packs in. Its just a rust bucket.

13. Welshdragon1

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Tesco seem to be the cheapest here for the protection plan, and they do have a good service.

I do tend to buy the extended warranties, but just pay it off in one installment rather than on a monthly basis (which costs more over the course of the plan). i.e AO.com £5.99 per month x 12months x 3 years

= £5.99 x 12 x 3 = £215.64!

I do think that that is a good price for a washer dryer combination though.

You can always purchase the guarantee at a later date, normally within 45 days of purchase.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2015