Low voltage bathroom extractor

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by questioner, Jun 26, 2016.

1. questioner

questioner Member

I am looking to have an extractor fitted in the bathroom wall to vent the room, am I right in thinking 240v would have to go back to the consumer unit? I need to know as I want to put the ceiling back up before calling the sparky, if that is the case I will go with LV if it can come off the lighting could someone please clear it up for me, the extractor will be outside the shower and straight through the wall out of reach of the bath/show and sink.

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Generally speaking the best way to do it would be to spur off the lighting ctt with a fcu and run the light, fan and bathroom switch off it. It would be wired in a way as to provide an overrun on the fan so it stays on a five mins to clear the brown smells after the light is switched off. There shouldn't be any reason to run in a new ctt. all the way from the cu. Best to leave the ceiling down till the sparx has done his funky thang.

3. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Whether its a 12 volt fan or a 230 volt one, they both connect to the lighting circuit.

4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Just to add .... vent axia, manrose etc make 240 ones suitable for zone 1