Mac Allister Router

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by clarkster, Jan 17, 2008.

1. clarkster

clarkster New Member

seen a 1200w version of this router 12.7mm bit with carry case and other bits in B&Q for £49.95 which seems a good deal. soft grip handles and a 48mm plunge

can anybody recommend this router, is it powerful enough for worktops and general kitchen fitting work or should i be looking at a more powerful motor?

all my other gear is black and decker or bosch-not sure about MacAllister brand either????

any hints and tips on buying a router that I should bear in mind?

cheers

2. russ295

russ295 New Member

dont waste your ££££'s

buy a makita, dewalt, hitachi, trend, bosch blue or if you feeling generous a festool.

russ

3. big all

big all Screwfix Select

way way way underpowerd it will cut worktops but at 4 or 5mm a pass you will take all day
    you will also burn out the cutters twice as quick [well the first 5mm anyway;)]

you could get a ryobi 1150 for the same price and yes its underpowerd too and takes 1/2 inch cutters although the blurb dosnt always say!!!

big all

4. clarkster

clarkster New Member

thanks lads....erm, what wattage motor should i be getting then if 1200w is a bit breathless ?

i want at least 8mm per pass....

5. HOTDOG ø

HOTDOG ø Active Member

2000w and go for a decent brand, Bosch, Makita, De Walt etc.

6. big all

big all Screwfix Select

1850 like the hitachi m12v are perfect as well

people quite happily use 1600w routers but 1800 and above is definatly better if your using larger cutters or cutting loads of worktops

big all

7. clarkster

clarkster New Member

i'm getting a good idea now on motor size so cheers lads.
    1600w minimum....not doing worktops every day.

8. kaintheo

kaintheo New Member

I have a DeWalt DW625EK 1/2" Router 1850 watt which does the job a treat. It also has a soft start which is nice. CMT make exactly the same router which you can get from axminster tools but is cheaper. Well you used to be able to but not sure if they still sell it.

Don't forget that an A1 router is no good if your bits are shot. I always use freud or CMT.

9. richiecatpugh

richiecatpugh New Member

With a 48mm plunge you wouldn't make it through a 40mm worktop by the time you take off the thickness of your jig

10. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

i use a festool 1400 router for worktop and it is fine. I would upgrade if i was doing it all the time but im not and dot need another tool in my van taking up space