macerator waste

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by azas76, Mar 24, 2017.

1. azas76

azas76 New Member

Hi all,
    i need to put a loo and basin in the little room at front of the house and run a waste from the macerator to the rear of the house.
    The joists run across the house. They are all heavily notched and could fit a 32mm waste pipe from the macerator but there will not be any fall on it.
    I know the manufactures state it must have a 1:100 fall. Is this necessary? has anyone installed a macerator waste 100% horizontal and has it worked ok?

thanks in advance.
    Aaron

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Horrible things, person who invented them should be flogged!

When they block it's not a pretty sight, seen one a few years ago which blocked, hallway, dinning & kitchen floor ankle deep in S*@t.:eek:
    No way to get to a main sewer pipe?

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'm losing my macerator in a month, for a very nice stub stack and underground pipe :D:D.

Stick it on ebay or destroy it? Hmm, such a hard choice....:cool:

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Destroy it, shouldn't inflict suffering on others with it.

Had one some years ago, I had great fun using it for target pratice with my twelve bore.:)

CGN and Joe95 like this.
  5. just pumps

just pumps Screwfix Select

That is one heck of a lot of water, if the macerator blocked the idiots should of noticed.

6. just pumps

Yes it is necessary!

7. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

32mm pipe through joists :eek: oh dear, disaster waiting to happen

8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

How far is the run.

You can use 22mm if not to far a run it may help is creating a fall.

9. just pumps

............ on some pumps, not all.

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What's the layout/type of house Aaron?

11. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

I have the same problem. The initial lift would be about 2 meters, then a run of 5m horizontal but then a 750mm run with a lift of about 300mm to the soil stack where the PVC exits the clay waste.
    I can get a 1% fall on the horizontal but that would increase the final lift up to the stack. Someone said 'on some pumps, not all'.

anyone know which do??

Seems strange that they claim 3m vertical, 40m horizontal but then ya learn that it's not 'horizontal' at all!

Cheers,

C.

12. just pumps

It is horizontal but with a "fall", because over that distance the output power of the slurry has dropped off. Saniflo pumps for one might do the final 300mm lift but you will shorten the life span of the unit. Others claim that it won`t but in the real world they don`t tend to last either.

13. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

Hi Just pumps,
    My plans are in tatters! I only realised today that these units need a fall on the horizontal! Surely the reason for needing one is because a fall ain't what you got?!

I'm thinking if I fitted a unit that can pump say 5m vertical, over spec, it would be better to have a 2m initial vertical, 5m slight rise and then short 300mm rise, otherwise I'd get a poo trap after a rise/fall/rise.

The only other way around this is to dig up the back yard and replace a section of the old clay and introduce a 110mm tee but that would mean the macerator pipe connection being below ground, wouldn't be good if it blocked!

Cheers,

C.

14. just pumps

The main reason is because you can`t run 110mm pipe with the required fall.

15. just pumps

One vertical followed by one horizontal with fall to the drains is how they are designed for use.

16. jckm2000

jckm2000 New Member

Thanks. That's a bummer, back to the drawing board. :(