Magnaclean 2

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Grahamb01, Nov 27, 2016.

1. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

Hi, I would like to fit a magnaclean to my system but the return pipe is 15mm. Can i still fit it?

Thanks in advance
    Graham

KIAB likes this.
  2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What boiler you got, usually flow & return are 22mm on a boiler.

Seen it done before,:eek: you should be able to use a bit of 22mm pipe & some 15/22mm reducers on the return, but see what others on here have to say first about doing it.

3. Yes, of course you can.

It won't add any noticeable resistance to the flow - especially as your return pipe is only 15mm already... - so it's a case of adding 22-15 reducers as KIAB says.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If you think your system has crud in, then add a bottle of Sentinnel X800 & let it run around for a couple of weeks,then drain down,flush throughly, refill not for getting to add a inhibitor like Sentinnel X100, there is also Sentinel X900 FilterAid that can be added along with the inhibitor, helps the filter with collecting the crud.

If your system is particularly cruddy, you will find yourself emptying the filter a couple times a week, for a few of weeks like I did when I fitted one to my system, now the filter is checked twice a year & cleaned if required.

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...tral-heating-systems/sentinel-x900-filter-aid

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...systems/sentinel-x800-jetflo-ultimate-cleaner

https://www.sentinelprotects.com/uk...ntral-heating-systems/sentinel-x100-inhibitor

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
    Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  5. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

Thanks for all your reply s, it's a baxi 133he plus. Just double checked and what looks like has happened, all the rads are on micro pipe , well all apart from two rads which I had fitted when boiler was installed.
    I do have 22mm pipe but it is behind the boiler and goes through the ceiling, but not enough pipe to fit the magnaclean and at the bottom of the boiler where you have all of the taps it goes from 22mm to 15 and to the extra rads I had fitted. I might drain the system in and get a local plummer in to do the job.

Yam4 likes this.
  6. Photo of the underside of the boiler would be good - showing all the pipes and their sizes.

What size is the CH return pipe as it enters the boiler? Surely it's 22mm? This may involve a bit more work, but you may want to consider extending this pipe so's you can fit the filter in it, but that's your call.

Chust make sure that you are catching ALL the return flow, and not chust one line...

KIAB likes this.
  7. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

Trying to upload pic but it says it's too large, how do I reduce it.
    Sorry for the daft question

8. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

20161127_163649.jpg 20161127_163655.jpg
    20161127_163649.jpg 20161127_163655.jpg
    The pipes that come out of the bottom only go to two rads then back to boiler the pipe going into the ceiling as far as I can tell would feed the rest of the rads

9. I'm guessing the 4th one along from the left is the CH return? Can you confirm?

In which case, chust stick the filter in that pipe wherever you can.

Where does it split into the '2-rad' part and the 'going upstairs' bit?

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

From left to right No1: HW outlet, No 2: Cold water Inlet, No3: Gas, No4: CH Flow, No5: CH Return & No6: Pressure Relief.

And CH flow & return is 22mm.

11. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

I think that the part of the pipe which goes below the boiler goes to supply two pipes 15mm and the rest of it 22mm goes behind and upstairs to feed the rest of upstairs and the other rads downstairs. Looks like need to add extra pipe to connect it to but not sure where?

Attached Files:

12. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

I would like to thank everyone for the help so far.

13. Ah! I've chust spotted the 22mm flow and returns teeing orf right behind the boiler connection... :eek:

Graham, the ideal solution would be to redo that piping to accommodate the filter, but that would involve as fair bit of work - you'd have to extend the 22mm return connection from the boiler to a point below it where you could install the filter and then tee off to the 22mm going up and the 15mm going down.

I suspect you don't fancy that, so what I'd suggest instead is - follow that 22mm return wot's going up behind the boiler and through the ceiling, and find somewhere there to install it. This will likely involve having to add a couple of elbows to divert the pipe to a position where it can be installed, unless there's a better location up beyond that ceiling?

Yes, this will mean that the return from the two newer rads won't be directly filtered, but actually that water is shared so it will be cleansed using X800 or whatever, and it will be filtered over time as the water mixes.

14. Yes.

If you want to do it properly, then you'd need to change that 'tee' in to an elbow and point it downwards below the boiler. Extend it to a suitable location - possibly to the RH side of the boiler - where you can fit the filter. Then, on the other side of the filter, you'd need to fit the 22/22/15 tee to catch the new rad piping and also send the 22mm return probably up the side of the boiler to rejoin the 22mm pipe near the ceiling.

Does the Magnclean need to be installed vertically only? If so, find another make - Fernox or summat - that can be fitted horiz if that helps.

No easy solution - but if you are half-competent at plumbing - this is not hard.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2016
  16. Grahamb01

Grahamb01 New Member

Thanks for all your reply s and taking time to reply.
    I've never done any plumbing but was going to practice on some spare pipework first. I like a challenge.
    If I don't fancy it in the end, does anyone know of a local plummer near Newport south Wales?

17. If you do fancy trying this yourself, Graham, then sketch out the layout you are going to follow first, and make sure it'll work. If you fear soldering joints, then you can always go brass compression or even plastic push-fit (and still use copper pipe).

Things to consider - if that 5th along from the left pipe is the return (absolutely confirm - don't chust take KIAB's word for it ;)) then when you change that tee to an elbow to direct the pipe downwards, bear in mind the pipe will have to clear the other pipes running there. So you might want that elbow to be fitted close to the boiler's connection so's it's out from the wall a bit more (ie use a shorter piece of copper pipe than is currently there).

You should - I think - then be able to site the Magna directly underneath the boiler - allowing room for the lid to come off! - and this new pipe would go straight to it.

All you need to do then is to get the 22mm wot's going up to the ceiling and the 15mm wot's coming from the new rads connected up using a tee and then to the other filter connection.

That's all... :rolleyes:

This is a tricky job for most DIYers, and a very tricky one to someone new to this. But a piece of piddle for a plumber - so shouldn't cost that much.

KIAB likes this.
  18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Pay a plumber to do the job, definitely not a job for a beginner.

19. I'm inclined to agree, especially in this case as it's definitely not a straight forward job like most of these are.