Magnaclean Pro vs Twintech

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mne_kerr, Dec 18, 2014.

1. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Does anyone have any experience with these filters and if so, which one would you recommend? I'm power flushing my system tomorrow and need to add a filter once it's done. Thanks in advance

2. Oooh, stand well back...

'Kerr, I suspect it'll come down to personal preferences - a bit like with boilers. I wonder how many plumbers have fitted a variety of different makes in similar situations so can directly compare them?!

My sole input is that I have a Magnaclean Pro fitted, and it undoubtedly catches 'magnetic' sludge. Opening it for cleaning is a wee pain as the large top can be tight (even if you don't overtightened it on fitting) and you feel you are putting a lot of strain on the pipes unless you can hold it really firm.

I've recently bought an upgraded sleeve for inside which is also meant to trap 'non-magnetic' scum, but it's yet to be fitted so I cannot comment further on this.

I know some makes - such as the Fernox - have supposedly easier ways to clean them - remove magnet and flush out - but I cannot comment on how effective that design is. If it's mean t to be 'remove magnet and the sludge will fall to the bottom to be flushed out', then I would question its effectiveness since when I remove the magnet from the Magna, the sludge stays stuck to the plastic sleeve and needs wiping or washing off!

So, I would check that it really does flush the sludge out. With the Magna, at least I know it's been thoroughly cleaned.

Someone on here loves the Spiro (Spira?) which is brass-bodied and been around for a good while, I think.

What I would suggest is, do get a 'double-action' filter - magnetic and non-magnetic filtering.

I have seen a similar thread on UltimateHandyMan, so it might be worth a read.

(I've watched a video for another make recently - forget which one - which shows their compex filtering system which is a kind of plastic mesh surrounding the central magnet. This mesh is supposedly designed to 'stall' the water flowing through, or something, so that the non-magnetic particles can fall to the bottom under the force of gravity.

Now, if that works I'm a bludy Englishman. That just seems hugely implausible to me; (a) how can you stall the water flow in a device that is being fed by a continuous fast rate? And (b), if you want the particles to fall away under the force of gravity, then you'd better place it in a jar and put it away for a couple of weeks...

Ok, it may be that I've misunderestimated the device, but what they describe doesn't make sense...)

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2014
    FatHands likes this.
  3. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Thanks for the in-depth reply DA. Much appreciated. Am I right in thinking the pro is magnetic only whereas the Twintech is both magnetic and non-magnetic? The website wasn't overly clear.

4. The original Pro was magnetic only, but I've just bought an upgraded internal sleeve which is meant to also catch non-mag particles too.

Didn't you read my post, man... :p

5. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Yeah I read your post, I was merely enquiring whether the Twintech was mag and non mag

6. In which case phrase your question correctly... :p

I don't know anything about the Twintech - neffer even heard of it to be honest.

'Twin'tech suggests both functions?

But there's also the Fernox & Sentinel to check out.

7. Mne_kerr

Mne_kerr New Member

Ok no worries. Thanks for the replies

8. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

It is called a cyclone and works. Alpha have one as standard on one of their boilers. I would go for the brass Spiro. The Sentinel appears to the best of the plastic models.

9. I understand 'cyclonic filtering' as in spinning out particles by centrifugal force like in a Dyson. But that's not what that video described - it said the particles fall down under gravity. Weird.

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Once apon a time there was a great Lancastrian named Thomas Allinson, People thought him mad because he advocated using the whole grain to make bread, now several hundred years later they found out he was right all along,

Of course this has nothing to do with heating filters but my name is thomas too and I'm a Lancastrian, small world innit o_O

11. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

Wow Mr Plumb. Wow.

12. Pow Mr Walt. Pow.

13. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

The Spiro Tec is the least efficient of them all, the magnet is on the outside as a sleeve and becomes loose over time and falls off leaving the device useless. It has no method of isolation or any dose point.
    We had to fit them as part of the green del installs, and had so many callbacks on them.
    My personal favourite at the moment is the Magnaclean Pro 2. It can be installed in a confined space as it is fully removable to service. I used to fit a lot of the Fernox TF1's but they are prone to leaking.

14. catchup

catchup Member

Och aye course you are...........:eek:

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I fear you're barking up the wrong tree wettie and i can prove it, you pm your address to me and I'll send you the covented tomplum pen, how's that for a deal, ;)

16. Walt Systems

Walt Systems Member

The service valves supplied by Magnaclean are pathetic. They all cut on the quality of the services valves. Always fit quality full bore valves either side of any of these units.

17. The valves on mine are all metal and operate smoothly, but perhaps it's an earlier Magna? Have to say, it's never given me a problem, and I've had the darned thing off quite a few times in its short life doing drain-downs and sh*