Main supply tap?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by MrBmwTech, Jun 27, 2014.

1. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

Hi guys hope you can help, I've just bought a new fill and flush system for my only upstairs toilet and I have turned off what I believe is the only supply tap in our kitchen near our sink. The kitchen tap stops straight away so I then went upstairs to find the sink, bath and toilet supply still had flow (reduced output compared to normal) so I left all the taps running for 5 mins but they didn't stop and when I returned to downstairs the kitchen had flow again for a second or too. Should I be looking for another valve or could this just be a tank in my loft that needs to empty? My c/h boiler is downstairs in the kitchen too if that matters!

Thanks guys!

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

It does indeed just sound like the loft header tank emptying down.

3. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

Thanks Phil!

4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Phil's probably right, but a sure way to tell is go up to the tank and see if its filling, if it is, there's another stop tap somewhere,

Phil the Paver likes this.
  5. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

Thanks tom, will get up there and have a look!

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Hate those tank fed bathrooms, always catch you out. Just as a matter of interest are your tanks fitted with bylaw 30 kits if not do not drink the cold water when you clean your teeth.

MrBmwTech likes this.
  7. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

I've no idea! We do use the kitchen tap for drinking water? Any way I can tell?

8. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

look in the loft and see if any of the tanks have a puffa jacket on

MrBmwTech likes this.
  9. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

I have two tanks one little one about the size of a old school 15" tv and a massive one wearing a 70's trend puffa jacket, lol so guess I do?

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The little one is for your central heating system, the big one is your feed to the cylinder tank, this will also supply cold water to all the other cold taps in the house.

When you shut your main stop tap off it should stop the supply feed to this tank, a simply way to check it does is to turn it off and then push the ball valve in the big tank down a little, if no water runs into it, it is working and has stopped the supply feed.

Now you could turn the taps on and empty the tank or you could block off the outlet pipes and this will then just drain down the pipes from the tank to the cylinder/cold taps, not a lot of water, so should take seconds to drain.

MrBmwTech likes this.
  11. MrBmwTech

MrBmwTech Member

Thanks all for you help, learnt more than I thought I would do!