Main Water Earth

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by mackie, May 5, 2016.

1. mackie

mackie Member

Hi,

If I am correct there should be an earth running from the Mains water into the house to the consumer unit?

My mains water is about a 9 metre run from the consumer unit. There is a earth running between the pipes in the boiler cupboard (cold in from tank / hot out / cold out / heating) and back to the consumer unit. I have traced the mains from entry into the house to the tank in the loft and cannot find an earth anywhere, also the same on the mains run going to the kitchen.

I guess there could of been one somewhere but it could of been cut off as there is a short earth coming out of the consumer box.

So, I want to put one in. What size do I run fo rthe 9m run from pipe to CU?? Is 6mm big enough??

2. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Are you sure your house isn't fed with plastic pipe? Is it quite modern or very old? Any earth's on the gas main?

3. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

You need to establish whether the cold water is an extraneous conductive part first. Is the incoming water pipe plastic or metallic?

4. mackie

mackie Member

1950's and definatly copper. The gas is next to the CU and has a bond running between the two.

5. mackie

mackie Member

The definition of an extraneous-conductive-part is “a conductive part liable to introduce a potential, generally earth potential, and not forming part of the electrical installation”.

:)

Thanks Google

6. leesparkykent

If its indeed copper than enters from the ground then will almost certainly be an extraneous conductive part that requires bonding.

7. 10mm for water and 10mm for gas.

8. leesparkykent

not always.

9. T.T. systems could be 6mm if memory serves, if its TN system with 100ASph then 10mm would be fine, even if the water main is plastic if it go's to copper then still needs bonding, and verifying of its connection.

10. mackie

mackie Member

So at 6mm @ 59p per metre and 10mm 97p per metre for my run of 10 metres I might as well spend the extra £4

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Only use 6mm if it is TT system and it protected, but you right stick with 10 mm

12. leesparkykent

Yes it depends on the earthing arrangement and can depend on the size of the suppliers neutral. For example if it was TN-C-S and the suppliers neutral was over 35mm then a 10mm bonding conductor wouldn't be adequate. Obviously 10mm will more than likely be adequate in the OP's case.

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Are you sure the actual CU is earthed? I mean it's not the original 1950's wiring is it?

Comlec likes this.
  14. fire

fire Well-Known Member

any Neutral conductor less than 35mm2 must be 10mm2 for a tncs, PME supply

for a TT or such supply it must not be less than half the neutral conductor of the supply and must not be smaller than 6mm2.

What supply installation do you have?

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

More then likely? - that's not a very good response from a supposed electrician.

3phaseelectrics likes this.
  16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Tell him anything he don't want to hear JP, oooh look out, here he come's, steaming in all John Wayne style.

17. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Good evening Mr C. Yes I clocked the chap on extra long meter tails threads (locked by Screwfix Pete now) never seen so much arrogance on the forum, the chap has only just started posting and he is giving it all the large. Oh well we shall see how good the chap is. Have a good evening Mr C.

Coloumb likes this.
  18. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Yea what a keyboard warrior. You too JP, have a good evening I mean.

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

New member syndrome chaps! :D