Making a 2 gang switch a 1 gang switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MattUK80, May 28, 2016.

1. MattUK80

MattUK80 New Member

Hello,

I have two ceiling roses (pendant fittings) in my kitchen and one of them has now become redundant so I want to change having 2 lights to just 1 light, I have 1x 2 gang switch currently controlling each light and I want to swap this to a 1 gang switch for the 1 light that I want to keep.

See attached photo.
    [​IMG]

The light I want to keep is currently controlled by the right hand switch looking from the front. I want to just make the left hand cable redundant without having to strip all the wiring out, perhaps just leave it labelled and terminated above the ceiling and at the switch position, if that's possible?

Please can you advise how I wiuld reconfigure the wiring within the switch?

Regards
    Matt

2. MattUK80

MattUK80 New Member

Would I be correct in saying to remove the short piece of brown wire between the COMS and then move the longer brown wire from the left COM to the right COM? Then remove the brown wire from the left L1 into a piece of terminal block and leave inside the pattress box?

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Take out the link and put the other wire into the com of your new switch, put the wire which is in the bottom of your existing switch into the other terminal of the new switch. Put the remaining wire, which is at the bottom of the left hand switch in the photo into a piece of connector block.

4. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

That would work fine Matt.

Welcome to the mad house.

Kind regards

5. Bazza-spark

Sorry Sen. We must have almost hit enter at the same time.

Kind regards

6. MattUK80

MattUK80 New Member

Thank you Seneca, thank you Bazza-spark :)

7. Bazza-spark

You're welcome Matt

8. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

you should also disconnect the neutral and CPC in the switch for the redundant cable if you are going to disconnect it at the light end and push it up leaving it unterminated.

9. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

And the most important thing ..........Turn the power off first lol

10. MattUK80

MattUK80 New Member

Thank you everyone, it's working perfect :)