Makita Mitre Saw Appalling Quality

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Andy W, Feb 28, 2015.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not after one yet :)

But I do appreciate good quality tools, and the engineering behind it.

This is a big purchase for someone, and a chopsaw is the backbone for so much operations. So it needs to be accurate and well made.

The measurement markings on the Makita all seem plastic, where quality shouldn't be compromised.

The angle plate on the Dewalt and Festool look very similar?

2. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

What does yours sound like when starting? The soft start on mine makes a sort of grinding grumbling noise for a second before up to speed, normally have a whiney woosh tone with most soft start machines I've used.

3. longboat

longboat Screwfix Select

Posted twice, don't know why?

4. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The design on that saw is similar to an angle grinder drive mechanism so it will probably make that noise. I still pefer my old Makita design.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've always found De Walt do the best mitre saws, Bosch for jigsaws, Makita for cordless, Fein for multitools, Festool for track saws, De Walt, through buying Elu for routers.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Castings actually seem well machined, except for the smaller model, can't remember the no (this saw wasn't UK built as most other were).

It's just the quality of the other components that let it down, your machine may me older hence why its good quality, where was it made?

7. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Made in Japan by the Makita corporation. LS1013.

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Maybe the LS0714 190mm mitre saw.

9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Just about spot on. My old Elu router was a magnificent beast until some twit nicked it. Bought a Makita jigsaw once and could not get on with it. Now using a Makita track saw setup as I need the laminate pre cut facility but it is not as slick as the Festool I have. Have a Bosch multitool as I do not use it too often. Oh and most importantly, do not forget Henry!

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've got a Henry at home but my work one is a beefier model by the same company.

11. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Ah, the Henry Cooper version.

:D

chippie244 likes this.
  12. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

I have a ctl 26 ac and what I noticed when sanding with a rotex is complete dust free sanding. And the auto switching is very handy.

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I have a festool mini which is great for tool extraction but it's not much good as a hoover.
    The 2 biggest problems with the festool extractors, and I have used lots of different models, is that there is no indication that the bag is full and they tend to block at the elbow where the hose goes into the extractor.

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Um, you mean this....

[​IMG]

15. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's like that but with more glitter :)

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Here you go, comes complete with storage compartment for your tools. :)

[​IMG]

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's the one.

Looks like they have brought out a new battery version.

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

That's when you know the bag is full.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Which is a design fault.

20. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The ctm range have an acoustic warning signal if the air speed in the suction hose falls below 20 m/s.