Material costs not included in decorating quote

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Vivien Roberts, Apr 25, 2024.

1. Vivien Roberts

Vivien Roberts New Member

I have received a decorating quote, but they have not included material costs - is this right? I'd like to know what I am paying for regards those items.

Attached Files:

2. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

You need to ask the person doing the work. Everyone prices differently but it should be clear what is and isn’t included. You can’t expect people on a forum to know what someone has estimated for you.

If it’s ’price plus materials’ ask for an idea of cost. Bear in mind paint can be £15 a tin or £150 a tin. He may not know what you have chosen.

DIYY likes this.
  3. Vivien Roberts

4. Vivien Roberts

I said I was happy to supply the paint and wallpaper, and he was going to supply the filler, wall seal products etc to prep the walls etc (he didn't really go into the details). So, I presumed he was going to put those items in the quote.

5. Truckcab79

Looking at the quote all of that should be included in ‘prepare’ but you need to ask the person doing the work

6. Vivien Roberts

7. Vivien Roberts

Thanks for replying. I am going to iron it all out, as with 20% Vat the total is £2067.44 and he wants a 20% deposit up front of £342.91. And he won't tell me how man rolls of paper or paint I need until after I accept, and I do get that he says he has burned off other customers where he has done the leg work and they have gone with another contractor, but I thought at least the prep work materials would be in, so it doesn't get awkward later on. As I will be buying paints & wallpapers myself. Also, he hasn't confirmed a start date, so if it starts dragging out and I think he is taking too long then due to T&C's I will lose my £342.91

8. Truckcab79

Not sure where in the country you are but to be honest if he’s doing that lot for two grand including VAT then I’d bite his hand off. I’d be charging four times that.

9. Truckcab79

Perfectly reasonable of him not to tell you quantities. I don’t take deposits at all but that aside if client wishes to supply materials then that’s fine but I give no help at all with quantities. There’s work involved in working these things out and hence why most will add a profit margin to materials to account for that. If he does all that for then he’s done the work but only to save you money. Pointless for him to do so.

chillimonster likes this.
  10. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

That is a decent quote for what is to be done - and very detailed.

You will need to agree and in writing whate materials you will supply - paint, paper, paste &c (he may want a specific lining paper or paste brand for example) and then what they will supply and with a rough cost. He may need no filler or two boxes of Toupret (£50) for example so there could be significant differences.

And worth noting that the deposit will be £402.

11. Truckcab79

Too detailed really and although I’ve replied, I very much suspect AI is posting this. Who has ever seen a decorator or anyone else price to the nearest 23p.

12. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

Possibly not in general decorating but I have seen MoD projexct whre the amount for a specific item, which could be painting was, for example £12,345.67 and one project worked on £850,837.92 - yes pennies in a near million pound project.